I looked up to find Meena with reddened cheeks. I hadn't realized I'd been staring for so long. I shifted my gaze to Snack, who was making her way to us.

"What are you saying?!" I answered defensively, taking the bucket.

She responded with an amused laugh, and I rolled my eyes at her.

"Well, thank you. Is Charlotte still not here?" I asked, grabbing a towel and submerging it in the cold water.

"No, but she'll surely be here in a minute; the doctor's house is not that far," Snack remarked, earning a nod from me.

"I'll be outside; you can now continue to stare at Meena's body," she teased. I grabbed the nearest thing and threw it in her direction, but unfortunately, it didn't hit her.

"Don't mind her." I said to Meena as I reached for the towel inside the bucket. With a firm grip, I squeezed it, removing excess water and preparing to apply a cold compress to Meena's injuries.

"Can I?" I asked Meena, extending the towel toward her. Confused, she nodded her head slowly.

That's my sign to start doing the cold compression. I made sure to do it gently so I wouldn't inflict her more pain.

"Oh..."

My body stiffened at the unexpected sound from Meena, sending goosebumps down my spine. Every hair on my body seemed to stand up, and a sudden surge of heat enveloped me. I felt inexplicably hot—oh my god.

I wanted to slap myself for the unholy thoughts playing in my head.

"S-stop m-moaning!" I blurted out, unconsciously pressing the towel too much against her body.

"Ouch... Moaning? What's that?" Meena asked innocently, her face reflecting the pain.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." I apologized quickly.

"Just... Just stop making weird sounds!" I added before standing up.

"Wait here; I'll get myself some water."

I stormed out of the room, my throat feeling dry, and the lingering heat slowly enveloping my body. What on earth is happening to me... really.

***

“How is she?” I inquired eagerly as Charlotte and the doctor emerged from my room.

Earlier, as I left to get some water, Charlotte had arrived with the doctor who promptly took charge of Meena’s treatment.

“She fell asleep,” Charlotte responded, a mixture of relief and concern in her tone.

“The patient is fine; she will undoubtedly experience a tolerable amount of pain when she wakes up later,” the doctor assured. I expressed my gratitude before he left, leaving a lingering calm in the air.

“Where are you going?” Charlotte inquired because instead of going to my room I headed to the kitchen, her curiosity evident in her expression.

“I’ll cook,” I declared.

“But you can’t,” she challenged, skepticism lining her response.

“You’ll be surprised to know that I can. And I’m good at it,” I retorted proudly, punctuating my words with a playful wink directed at Charlotte.

 ***

“How is it?” I asked Meena, anticipation lining my voice as she finished the porridge I had prepared for her.