Charlotte sighed, conceding, “If you say so,” in a tone tinged with defeat.

Curiosity piqued, I inquired, “So, since my father is here, where’s my mother?”

The atmosphere shifted palpably as both of them tensed at my question, their expressions turning serious. A sense of unease crept in. Had I broached a sensitive subject?

“She’s long gone,” my father replied, his voice heavy with emotion.

It took a moment for the weight of his words to settle in.

“Oh…” It was the only word that managed to escape my lips. What could I say? I don’t even have a single memory of her. No face to recall, not even a name to attach to her.

“By the way, where’s Snack?” I interjected, attempting to divert the conversation from the somber topic.

“Snack went to fetch Meena—oh, they’re here!” Charlotte’s response offered a reprieve, redirecting my attention to the two figures making their way towards us.
Snack strode ahead confidently, leading the way, while Meena trailed behind her, resembling a lost puppy seeking refuge. My gaze naturally gravitated towards her midsection—was she doing better now?

As they prepared to take their seats, a sudden jolt disrupted the calm. My father shot up, his face etched with shock and panic.

“W-what brings you here, your high-“ His words were abruptly halted as Meena swiftly dropped to her knees.

“Thank you for helping and inviting a peasant like me for dinner, Sir, Ministry of War. I’ll be forever grateful for your benevolence,” Meena expressed, her words heavy with deference.

A charged silence hung in the air as they exchanged a telling glance, an unspoken conversation passing between them. It felt like an eternity before my father could find his voice and cautiously reoccupy his seat.
What was that all about? My mind raced with questions, trying to decode the cryptic exchange that had just unfolded.

“Y-your welcome. It’s my pleasure to help. Stop kneeling and you may take your seat,” my father responded, his tone still wavering with hesitation.

“Thank you, Sir- ouch…” Meena winced in pain, clutching her knee as it collided with the table while attempting to sit. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at her clumsiness.
Was being clumsy her forte?

“Call the doctor, now!” Urgency laced my father’s shout, concern etched on his face.

“Uncle, she just hit the table… It’s not that serious,” Snack interjected, clearly puzzled by the sudden alarm.

“Exactly! That’s why she needs a docto—” my father’s words were abruptly interrupted by Charlotte.

“Your daughter almost drowned, lost her memories, yet it didn’t seem to affect you at all, but a stranger hitting her knee on the table has you so worked up. What’s your deal, uncle?” Charlotte’s voice carried suspicion and a tinge of frustration.

“Ah… everyone, I’m fine now… Thank you for the concern, Sir, but my knee doesn’t hurt now,” Meena intervened, trying to diffuse the escalating tension.

“Are you sure?” My father inquired, to which Meena nodded in affirmation.

“Are you guys done? Can we start eating now?” I interjected sarcastically, earning nods from the them.
Good.

Finishing my meal, I casually wiped my mouth with the tablecloth. Ten minutes passed in silence, an unspoken agreement among us to quell our hunger with the food laid before us.