Chapter 22: Unfortunate

Start from the beginning

"Hey where are you going? The elevator is this way." I heard Mayank behind me and realize I missed the turn which led us to elevator. I looked behind at him and then at the direction where Rohan disappeared then again at Mayank.

"You go I'll join you after a bit." He throw me a questioning glance but then nodded in agreement and turned to leave. I turned around and headed towards the double door which led me towards the open terrace I've never been before.

I caught Rohan at the edge of the glass railings lighting a cigarette. I stepped forward as he take a long drag and puffed out smoke which disappeared in thin air. His back faced me so he must not see me coming so I announced my presence.

"Hey Rohan." I said in a low tone and at that his body visibly stiffened. He looked at me over his shoulder and then slowly turned towards me. He leaned against the railing with his arms folded above his chest. He hold the cancer stick between his index and middle finger after taking a long drag. He didn't reply just stare at me with hooded eyes. To avoid this awkward silence I started again.

"Um, wanna join me for lunch, it's such a long time..."

"Go back, you shouldn't have came after me." He cut me off in the middle rudely. I almost flinched at his harsh tone. But then I frowned and said.

"What's wrong Rohan? Why are you behaving like this? Are you upset with me about something?" A deep chuckle fills the air which sounds like a mocking laugh then he replied looking at me.

"Upset you say? Why would I?" His hard glance clashes with mine and for a moment I got completely blank. I don't know how to respond to that tone he is talking to me with, it's so unlikely of him. I take a long breath trying to calm my frustration by his indirect replies and then took some confident steps towards him and stops only a feet away. He looked down at me and I saw his jaw tightened and maybe he took a sharp inhale then look away.

"Enough Rohan just tell me what's the matter already." I almost shouted. This behavior of him really get the worst out of me. He looked at me with his sharp eyes and hard face then replied,

"What do you want to know huh? That I try to keep a blind eye on what's going into your life and kept my distance? Or how I couldn't do anything about it and letting you go into the abyss?" He said with a much higher tone, eyes frowning and nose flaring. I couldn't understand what he meant, just give him a perplexed look.

"Rohan what are you talking about?" I asked genuinely confused by his words. He looked away and poked the inside of his cheek with his tounge which he did when utterly annoyed or angry, then again met my gaze. I patiently wait for his response and he finally spoke.

"Ishani I have never thought you'd be that dumb at judging someone. How could you be so stupid that you can't see the truth? Why can't you see that Adi is toying with your feelings?" I completely taken aback by his last question. After blinking few time and wrapping my mind around his words I finally able to utter.

"What do you mean by that?" I felt confused and shocked at the same time. Why did Rohan made such a bold statement about Adi, his best friend?

He closes his eyes briefly and took a long breath, and I'm impatiently waiting for his reply. Despite his accusation infuriates me a little I need to hear the explanation first. He opened his eyes and twitch his mouth before replying.

"Adi is not like that he is showing to you, infact I am afraid he is trying to hurt you again but in a most vicious way. You shouldn't trust him completely." He gritted out and I couldn't believe Rohan out of all people say that about Adi.

"How could you Rohan? How could you even say such thing about Adi? He is your best friend!" I am in utter shock and that is evident in my tone, I felt a bit emotional too that Rohan say something like that about Adi.