Chapter Thirty-Four

Clarissa's POV:

I laugh to myself, thinking about how special yesterday was.

Instead of being confined to the Women's room, I got to spend the day with Alexander.

It was a bit of a surprise waking up to his bashful smile, roses, and breakfast in bed, but it was the best surprise of my life. All I remember from the night before is kissing Alexander until I ran out of breath. After that, we just sort of fell asleep, I guess.

We didn't kiss and tell, we kissed and slept. I can't logically find a reason why we ended up in the same bed, but nothing happened, and I woke up in my dress, no harm done.

Not that Alexander would ever do anything to me. I trust him wholly.

I feel a sense of euphoria as I walk to our lessons with Jacqueline. Last night I fully let go of any feelings related to Bridgette. She's gone, and what happened is in the past.

No pang of jealousy, frustration, or sadness. I've learned that if I really want to love Alexander, I have to let go.

"Hey, Elle!" I call out to Eleanor, using the new nickname I've come up with.

"Clarissa! Did you hear?" That's another new thing relating to Elle, I've learned she is very, very, vague.

I look at her with a sarcastically mad expression on my face. Gesturing with my hands, I express, more details.

She laughs, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "Right!" She says in a high pitched voice, with a look that says oops! I totally knew that! "Did you hear what Jacqueline announced?" She repeats excitedly, "She told Emerald and Emerald told Krista who told Estelle who told Bethany who told me!"

Yeah, she also uses a lot of words and exaggerated hand motions when she actually gets to explaining details.

Then, she adds, "And now I'm telling you." I didn't notice.

But, she still hasn't told me what message she is relaying, "Um, Elle? What is it that you're telling me?"

She jumps up in surprise, "Right! Jacqueline said that we are having a ball!"

Oh! I had been wondering when we were going to have our first ball! "When is it?"

She shakes her head, not even listening to me. "I mean, I can't believe Prince Alexander didn't tell you, as you were with him yesterday." So, this is big news? "The ball is to celebrate his birthday, silly!"

Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe I didn't realize that! He had told me that his birthday was in two weeks yesterday. Didn't feel like connecting any dots, Clarissa?

"Oh..." I say. "When?"

"It's on his actual birthday, so in two weeks as of yesterday!" She grins excitedly, but I don't know why.

"Why are you so excited? I mean, it's good, just..."

Suddenly the atmosphere turns awkward and fills with tension. Her breath catches in her throat, and the glowing, buzzing joyfulness that was there before disappears without a second glance. "No reason." She says quickly.

Unfortunately for me, but luckily for her, it seems, Jacqueline decided that now is the perfect time to welcome us into the classroom. The isolated desks usually spread out through the room are absent, and guards line the sides of the walls.

Quickly counting, there are fifteen guards. One for each girl, I suppose?

But...we don't need personal guards. Why would they be here?

Standing in the middle of the room, Jacqueline clears my confusion, "Ladies, I gathered from the buzzing chatter outside that you all have spread the news of Prince Alexander's birthday ball. As I'm certain you realize, you will all have to dance with the Prestige and foreign Royals that will be there, as well as Prince Alexander himself." My stomach clenches as she says 'Prestige' with an air of superiority, obviously directed to the Modest and Elite of the group before her.

And, in her mind, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Elite guards are hearing this too. She continues, "Which is why these fifteen guards have willingly come to practice the dances with you."

My mind is still searching for a reason why this could make Eleanor so happy. I don't believe she really feels anything with Alexander, and vice versa. So the only thing left would be practice lessons with Jacqueline and the guards. Not Jacqueline, a-

Oh, my gosh! The guards! I feel like knocking my head on the wall repeatedly.

I scan the faces and bodies of the guards again, and see a build that looks a lot like the guard that I saw with Eleanor. I can't believe I haven't asked her yet.

As Jacqueline starts the music, I ask her if Elle and I can go to the bathroom, and she says to make it quick, with a suspicious look on her face.

I step outside, grabbing Elle's arm. Her confused look contradicts with her confident red dress.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me!" I say, waving my hands around wildly. "I saw you and one of those guards in your room, and now you're grinning not because of the ball but because you get to dance with him! I can't believe you." I say disappointedly. "I would've helped."

Her face falls and she replies quietly. "I'm sorry, I was afraid of what would happen if someone knew. Please promise you won't tell?" She's treading dangerously. She could get caned, or worse if anyone reported her.

"I can't promise that, but I can promise no harm will come to you." I tell her softly. She nods her head and comes into my open arms. I whisper in her ear, "And I won't dance with him. I'm a horrid dancer anyways."

She laughs shakily, but I can tell she trusts me. I breathe deeply, feeling relieved now that she's come clean.

Heading back into class, we look at each other and smile. Best friends always stick up for each other.

And as they dance, I can tell how much they care for each other, even though they can't speak. I can see it through their actions, and as the saying goes, actions speak more than words.

------

Hi! I'm really sorry this chapter was so bad, I really don't like it!

But, I will come back and edit later! Remember to vote, comment, and follow please! Thank you so much for reading