Chapter Twenty-Five

Alexander's POV:

Dear Clarissa,

I'm sorry.  I truly am.  I don't know what happened, why I did that.  But I can learn from it, you know?  Bridgette, and I understand this now, doesn't want me.  She wants the crown.  That hurts.  A lot.  Even if I don't expect you all to land at my feet, begging for me.  Even if Bridgette is a showy girl who doesn't appreciate the things she has.  The idea of being used still hurts.

When people are taken advantage of, it makes them feel like a smaller person.  Feel like the other person, and all other people in the world, are better than them.  The thing is, not one sliver of that is true.  The offender would be the lower person.  Because they sunk to low levels, only to try and raise something about them. 

Those people are selfish, greedy, and so many other horrible things.  But I have a feeling you understand, Clarissa.

Greed.  The thing that drives most bad people.  We all looked to Gregory Illea as our  hero, but once grandmother and grandfather showed the truth of him to the people, we think of him as something else.

His relationship with the country was built on lies.  So many relationships have lies dripping off of them in trails of deceit.  I almost created that with Bridgette.

I want to have a relationship with you, Clarissa.  But I don't want it to be built on lies.

Yesterday, my dad told me that my mom isn't my birth mom.  She was a woman named Evangeline Collins.  It all makes sense now, because she died of cancer.

I'll explain another time, it's too complicated Clarissa.  Not something I want to explain over a letter.

I feel shattered right now.  Who am I supposed to trust?  The only real parent I have here is my dad, and though I love my mom, is it weird that I don't feel like she's my mom right now?

I miss you.  I miss how we used to be.  Able to talk, to let go of things that were bothering us.  We were better together, and I think you know it. 

How can we make "us" work, Clarissa?

I need you by my side.

Sincerely,

Alexander

----

Thank you so much for reading!  I'm sorry it's so short, the next few chapters will be similar in size.  I can't update as frequently right now, but soon I'll have more time!  Remember to:

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

please!