"The war started because of a golden apple," Phoenix replied, finally turning her full attention to Annabeth. She took a sharp breath in, "Eris, the goddess of discord, tossed it into a party, and chaos ensued. The apple was inscribed with 'To the fairest,' and Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite all wanted it. You know how well that turned out..."

Percy glanced at them, an amused smirk playing on his face. "Wait, No way, Like snow white—?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. But seriously, what does that have to do with anything?"

Phoenix leaned back and turned away, resuming her observation of the passing world. "Just pointing out that discord has a way of lingering, even if it's not in the form of a golden apple. The seeds of rivalry planted by the gods have a tendency to grow, whether in olive groves or saltwater springs. Athena and Poseidon were still at odds during the war. They both sided with the Greeks, but their rivalry persisted. It always has"

Percy, now more engaged in the conversation, asked, "So, even during a major war, they couldn't put their rivalry aside?"

"Exactly," Phoenix responded with a monotone certainty. "Their competition extended beyond the battlefield, influencing events in ways that echoed through the ages. Just like that golden apple, their discord has far-reaching consequences."

Annabeth absorbed the information, her irritation replaced with understanding. "So, you're saying the Trojan War was just another chapter in their ongoing conflict."

Phoenix nodded. "Divine rivalries have a way of weaving through history, leaving a trail of discord. That's why you guys can't stand each other. It's why everyone at camp can't look at me without cowering. Whether it's an apple, an olive tree, or a saltwater spring, the gods' decisions always have a lasting impact....I mean, that's why we're here no?"

Percy sighed, he glanced at her with a look of dread. "That was really motivating Phoenix, Thank you."

Annabeth nudged his shoulder, "Hey leave her—"

"I wasn't trying to motivate you," Phoenix questioned. "I was trying to break your spirit."

Percy nodded, "Oh, Well, Okay then."

The rest of the drive went by in silence. Phoenix was glad to return to her silent observation of the world around her.

𓌪

TRAFFIC SLOWED DOWN IN QUEENS. By the time they got into Manhattan, it was sunset and starting to rain.

Argus dropped them at the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side. Taped to a mailbox was a soggy missing person flyer with Percy's picture on it saying: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?

He ripped it down before Annabeth and Grover could notice. But met Phoenix's watchful eye and swallowed.

"They got my nose wrong" He muttered

She shrugged, "Looked accurate to me."

The rain kept coming down.

Argus unloaded their bags, made sure they got their bus tickets, then drove away, the eye on the back of his hand opening to watch them as he pulled out of the parking lot.

Percy and Grover got restless waiting for the bus and decided to play some Hacky Sack with one of Grover's apples.

Annabeth helped Phoenix understand the rules of the game, and absolutely killed them in it. She could bounce the apple off her knee, her elbow, her shoulder, her head.

Wow. Was all Phoenix thought.

The game ended when Phoenix tossed the apple a little too hard at Grover and he ducked, the apple sped past him and shattered straight through one of the station's windows.