Chapter Six

It is my opinion that of all the signet powers riders provide, mending is the most precious, but we cannot allow ourselves to become complacent when in the company of such a signet. For menders are rare, and the wounded are not.

–Major Frederick's Modern Guide for Healers

"Hi Nolon, and Winifred," I smile at the two highly skilled healers

"Hi Nolon, and Winifred," I smile at the two highly skilled healers. The corners of Nolon's eyes crease as he returns the gesture. "Hello, little lady. Here to visit your dear friend, I assume?"

I nod at her. "How is she? She had quite the injury." Nolon's lips tip downwards into a frown as he speaks, "She had to be mended."

"I see. She'll be doing better now, right?'' An expression of shock flashes on Winifred's face, although only for a brief second, it was almost as if she expected me to react in some way else.

"Yes, she'll be doing alright. Just try and keep her away from harm's way. She has been here too many times already, and as much as I want to see her, I want it to be when she's not writhing in agony." Nolon answers.

A sigh of relief escapes me, and I grin. "I don't think that anyone can keep Violet from harm's way. She'll always find a way to it."

Winifred huffs out a laugh. "Also, was Dain with her by any chance? And did he say something along the lines of; 'You shall not mend her, she'll look weak' and then proceed to justify that he still cares for her?"

A shocked look is plastered on Winifred's face. "Yes, he was the one who brought her here. And said exactly that. How did you know?"

But Nolon speaks instead. "Always the observant one. Nothing gets past you, does it, child?"

"Heh," I smirk at his words. "It doesn't, gramps. And to answer your question, I know how he is. That bastard." My smirk falters as I even think about him.

I started calling Nolon and Winifred my grandparents about three years ago when I accompanied Violet to get her healed. And it stuck ever since. I have always, and will always see them as my grandparents.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Winifred chastises me with three clicks of her tongue. "No swearing, little lady."

I don't take her scolding too seriously, as I question, "Could I see Violet by any chance? Or is it better to let her rest?" I tilt my head to the left.

"I think that it's better to let her rest. You can see her in the night, though." Nolon glances at Winifred as he states. Winifred nods her head in agreement.

"Alright then, I'd better get going. Thank you, gramps and grams!" I softly smile at them.

🐉 ~🌷

The barracks are nearly full by the time Violet arrives. Her right arm is cradled in a light-blue sling, effectively shouting out that 'she is hurt, you have the upper hand'.