🌞Chapter 8🌻

🌞🌻

"Welcome back. We're almost done setting up out here."

"Thanks. Where's Net?"

Mew stood in front of James wearing a black leather jacket over his uniform.

"He just got here."

"Late again, huh?"

A slight smile appeared on Mew's face. With the smile still on his lips, he glanced over at Gulf. Without missing a beat, Gulf bowed.

"I look forward to working with you over the next month."

"...Yeah"

Mew's smile disappeared and he turned back to James.

"Any changes in the reservation list for tonight?"

"There haven't been any calls so far. A group of four will be coming at seven and two others eight. Apparently they're all women."

"As for the menu...

Mew and James seemed to have forgotten all about Gulf. Gulf knew it was inevitable, but he felt alienated and jealous of James.

He wondered if he would actually be able to storm this castle in only one month.

"Oh, Gulf."

His head had begun to droop when he felt a clap on his shoulder.

"T-Tong "

He turned around and saw Tong standing behind him, wearing a light shirt over his uniform like Mew.

"Do you start today? Good to have you."

"Thank you. I look forward to it. Can I help you bring anything in?"

The delicious smell of freshly baked bread wafled from the bag Tong carried.

"You can have one if you want. I just baked them so they're still warm."

"Really?" Gulf  looked at Mew, but Tong laughed.

"The bread is my domain, so don't worry about what that old downer says!"

"Are you calling me a downer?"

"Maybe!"

Tong seemed unconcerned by Mew's intense stare and held the bag open for Gulf.

"Go ahead, try one. There's a couple different types."

"Ooh!"

There were small rolls, walnut bread, classic baguettes, and many other varieties. They all looked good that Gulf couldn't choose.

"I want one!"

A hand reached past Gulf and grabbed a dinner roll.

"Hey, Net!"

"Awesome! I skipped lunch today. Thanks, Tong."

James had finished changing. He stuffed the bread into his mouth as he buttoned up his collar

"Oo shoo' try un! 'ey're 'ood!"

"Um, all right."

"Don't talk with your mouth full. This place is not a zoo."

Net shrugged.

"I think it's nice having someone so cheerful around. I'm going to have this one."

Gulf selected one of the walnut breads. It was still spongy and warm, and when he brought it to his lips, he smelled the delicious aroma of walnuts.

He stared at the bread and gasped. "Oh wow!"

"How is it?"

"I always thought your bread was good, but it's absolutely amazing when it's fresh like this."