🌻Chapter 4

🌻

People's criteria for what makes a grande maison vary. But in general, defining it as a high-end French restaurant is correct.

This classification is not limited to the price. It includes the quality of the food, the decor of the restaurant, the atmosphere, the tableware, even the staff and the quality of the customers. It is in this extraordinary environment that the grande maison can offer high-class satisfaction and luxury, and even elegance. By that definition, Alex's Grand Royale was a grande maison.

"Good evening, sir."

It began with how the customer was greeted at the entrance.

A reserved man dressed in formal black greeted Gulf. He took his coat with casual case as he shrugged it off.

"Mister Gulf. We've been expecting you. Allow me to show you to your table."

"Are my father and Chef Alex here?"

"They have already begun their meals, sir." Gulf checked the time and saw that it was already 8:30. He'd left himself enough time to get there on schedule, but right before he left work, a client trapped him in a conversation and he couldn't get away.

He knew his father would chew him out when he got to the table.

He suppressed his weary resignation and headed inside.

The restaurant was on the first floor of a hotel, which gave it an appearance of reserved luxury. A thick navy blue carpet with Baccara lights spread out at Gulf's feet, softly illuminating the path. The walls were the same color as the carpet, and were studded here and there with glass cases that showcased highly polished pieces of silverware.

Gulf's heart leapt at the sight of the grand piano they passed on their way into the dining room. A sparkling chandelier hung from the high ceiling.

The tables were covered with pure white tablecloths and decorated with candlesticks and flowers that lusciously complemented the food and tableware, Gulf could feel his mood improving greatly.

"There you are!" his father called, noticing Gulf coming across the restaurant and raising his champagne glass. A man in the prime of his life, who well deserved the description of silver-haired gentleman sat beside him placidly.

"It's good to see you again, Mister Alex."

Gulf ignored his father and greeted Alex, the owner of this restaurant.

"I'm sorry for not keeping in touch myself. How have you been?"

"Very well, thank you."

Gulf sat down in the chair the maitre d' pulled out for him and bowed his head.

"It feels so strange to be eating in the main dining room."

"We had a customer call with an urgent request for the private room. I don't usually like people to see me eating at my own restaurant, but there was no helping it. "Yanaginuma said with a rueful smile.

It was, in any case, the middle of the week, so there were very few customers even at the grande maisons. Aside from Gulf's table, there was only an older couple and a group of three men presumably having a business dinner.

"Did you order the Petrus?"

"Don't worry. We've even let it breathe. I plan to bring it out before the game course."

"I'm glad to hear it."

Though Chateau Petrus, a red Bordeaux wine, was different from the so-called "first growth" vintages, it had a similar body and flavor. But it was even more expensive.