Chapter III

August 21, 1991

Forks Washington

"Arty!" Faylie jumped up, already skipping towards me.

I'd just entered the clearing and was immediately ambushed by her arms wrapping around me. Faylie's snake-like grip was suffocating. She had a sword sheathed at her waist and its pommel dug underneath my ribs.

"You're hurting her." Ollie's voice came from behind Faylie. She didn't let me go.

"Huh?"

"Can't. . . breathe." I got out. Faylie leaped away from me.

"I'm sorry Arty! I'm really, really sorry!"

I was still catching my breath and massaging my side, but I waved away her apology, "I'm fine, Faye."

"No, you aren't! Oh, this is all my fault!" She wailed, crying a river. I stood there, bewildered, but Ollie was quick to come to the rescue. He wrapped his arms around Faylie's shoulders and stroked her short hair.

I didn't know what to do, the people I know don't cry a lot. Bella once fell in the school parking lot and cried for hours because a car had nearly run her over. Mom had shouted at the driver for ten minutes straight, spouting a bunch of weird words that sounded like something I'd hear Dad say. But that was years ago and Mom was too busy being angry to help Bella. I was told to leave Bella alone since she needed to process (my sister snuck into my bed that night so maybe Mom was wrong).

I didn't spend a lot of time with people. Mom wanted me to study. Bella wanted to stay with Jacob. Charlie was busy at work or fishing with Harry Clearwater. I was always alone with pages of numerical equations and introductory guides to advanced grammatical structure. And I like writing, but I liked people too.

I liked being alone, but everything in me instinctively knew how to react to a situation. I was a mold that fit easily into the situation at hand. Instinctively I knew that Faylie felt things differently, that she wasn't upset at the bruises that would be on my skin tomorrow, but at herself for causing them.

I think that's why Mom likes Bella more. She was a kid and I was a college student in a seven year old's body. I was weird and difficult. But Bella was. . . normal. . . and simple to take care of.

But I was okay with it and I was happy that it helped me take care of people. In a good way.

I intertwined my fingers with Faylie's and rested my head on her shoulder. Ollie and I shared a look as we waited for her tears to subside. It was strange, to feel so in tune with people I'd met yesterday. But we were all misfits and it felt right.

Faylie sat up slowly and quickly wiped away her tears with the back of her hands. She painted a dim smile onto her face. Faylie squeezed my hand and pecked Ollie on the lips.