Chapter 9

Having planned for this very moment I still don't know if I'm ready to face her yet.

It's been about two weeks since Threshing and I've been trying to locate the brig at which Violet was located when she was tortured.

I believe it was underneath the school. Though Dain and Xaden rescue her, I need to save her. Maybe this will lessen my guilt if I do and I don't want Violet to suffer anymore than she has. That scene was heartbreaking to read and I don't want her blaming herself for it.

I had a black cloak on, its hood covered my hair and face. For the past week, I've gotten pretty skilled at stealth missions.

Hopping around the school in different places, Xaden is probably the only one who can catch me, but he isn't here so I have no obstacles.

The underground tunnels are humid, water droplets can be heard as they fall. The light underneath here is limited so it gives me more coverage. I position myself against the wall, using it to guide me. I can't risk using a mage light or my light.

Suddenly, I hear voices as I approach a corner, another prison door appears.

I try to lean in closer to hear what they are talking about, but a soldier comes from the stairwell down the opposite hall.

"Lieutenant Nora," the voice calls to the people inside the door. "All leadership is being ordered to assemble. There have been...incidents at the border."

"By whose order?" The woman, Nora demands.

"General Sorrengail's."

"We'll be there shortly," Nora replies, waving him off. He walks off the way he came.

I take the opportunity to put my back against the wall of the door.

"We might already be too late," The man says, shaking his head. "Riorson deserted days ago, according to the reports we received this morning. We're gathering the marked ones now."

He must be Varrish. I'm not going to let him see the light of day, not after all he has done.

"I'm sorry, May. I'm sorry, Liam." My back straightens at the sound of Violet's croaking voice.

She sounds so broken. I was late once again and should have arrived sooner. I furrow my brows as I continue listening.
"It's all my fault." She croaks again.

"What have you done, Violet?" Varrish asks. "Orchestrated another attack on an outpost? Find out what you can, Aetos. The safety of our kingdom depends on it. Time is of the essence."

"So you keep saying. But I only searched your memory to prove my father wrong, Violet, and all you did was prove him right. If the marked ones died betraying our kingdom, then they deserved what they got." I hear Dain say.

"I hate you," she whispers.

"She's stalling," Varrish snips. "Do it now. And if you see something you don't understand, I'll explain it once we know where their army is hiding. Just trust me that we are acting in the best interest of every citizen of Navarre. Our only goal is keeping them safe."

I turn my head slightly to see what's going on in the room.

Dain nods and reaches for Violet, hesitating at the last second. "She's bruised everywhere."

"She's nothing more than a traitor," Varrish retorts.

I need to wait until after Violet shows him to act. Just because I find Dain annoying sometimes doesn't mean I hate him. This is one of the moments where he truly is a big help.

So I wait, Dain reads Violet's memories, witnessing everything that's happened. Possibly even about me, but for some reason I think he won't spill. Dain cares too much about Violet to betray her like this.