Chapter 8

May

For the past two months, I have been working on a plan to help Violet. I've been training, creating new equipment, anything that will help me. My mom convinced me that it's the right thing to do. Even if Violet doesn't want my help, I'll give it to her anyway. This time nothing will stop me from saving someone I care about.

Varrish is one of Colonel Aetos's underling. He's going to torture Violet because she knows about the venin. I need to stop him before he does.

It starts around Threshing time if I remember correctly. It's when Dain saves Violet after Nolan betrays her. So that will be in about a month.

I've been sending anonymous encrypted letters to Violet, hoping that she gets the message about Nolan. She is smart so she might figure them out. Even if she doesn't at least I tried to warn her.

I can't let Violet go through that, even if she doesn't think of me as a friend. This time I'll do everything in my power to not be weak.

Anyway, the equipment I'm talking about is a new flight suit, one that might actually work. This time I'm only focusing on the arms because they're the ones really controlling the action. I've been searching for a material that is sturdy but won't get as easily stuck.

So far it looks pretty successful.

The sound of the sewing machine ticking stops when the door to the art room opens.

"Emi?" Sebi peeks his head through the door.

"Yes, do you need something?" I turn in my seat to face him as he walks to me, hands behind his back.

"I have a surprise for you." He grins at me.

"Oh?"

He quickly moves his hands from behind his back, revealing the object. "Tada! It's a cupcake that I made for you. You seem to be so busy since you came back that I wanted to make something special for you."

"Aww, how sweet of you. Thank you, Sebi." I graciously accept the cupcake, ruffling his dark brown hair with my other hand.
The cupcake had frosting all over the top and even on the cupcake liner. I laugh at the sight of it.

He tried so hard.

I take a bite of the sweet dessert, Sebi waiting for my reaction.

"This is so good!" I exclaim to him that it is delicious. "Do you want a bite?" I could see his eyes wanting to devour the cupcake himself.

He furiously shakes his head yes, and swiftly takes a bite of it.

"It is good!" He says with his mouth full.

I laugh at how his cheeks are trying to contain the large bite.

He is so cute!

"Do you want to do something with me? I can finish this later." I motion to the sewing machine, after we finish the cupcake.

"Really?!" His eyes brighten at the thought.

"Sure, whatever you want to do." I nod my head.

"Okay, follow me." He grabs my right hand, pulling me alone with him.

He drags me into the backyard, towards the path leading to the lake.

"So, where are we going?"

"We're going rock collecting. Yesterday, I found a pretty white rock near the water." He explains, continuing to lead me.

"Is that so?"

"Yeah and Allen said that if I collect enough rocks, he'll make me a slingshot." Excitement fills his voice.