Chapter 1

Garrick

We land in Aretia a few hours before the sun rises.

The rest of the group being unaware of what happened to May. But they didn't ask questions, not when Xaden is occupied with trying to save Violet.

You're sure about this?" Imogen asks as we walk inside the building.

"Stop fucking asking him that," I snaps "He made his decision. Support him or get the fuck out, Imogen."

I was beyond pissed at everything that has happened so far. Doubting Xaden wasn't going to be another.

He came here because Emma told him it was part of the book. It also seems like the most reasonable solution in saving Sorrengail's life becasue the school is too far away.

"And it's a bad one," Ciaran retorts.

"When you have a hundred and seven scars on your back, then you get to make the fucking decisions, Ciaran," Bodhi snarls next to me.

Sorrengail's dragon releases a roar.

"What was that?" I ask.

"He basically said that he'll cook me alive if I fail," Xaden replies.

"You have to fight, Vi," Xaden whispers to Violet from in front of me. "You can hate me all you want when you wake up. You can scream, hit, throw your fucking daggers at me for all I care, but you have to live. You can't make me fall for you and then die. None of this is worth it without you."

"Xaden?" a familiar voice calls out. Brennan.

"You have to save her." His voice held sorrow and a commanding tone at the same time.

It must be nice to still have your person with you. I think it hurts the hardest when they are the closest to you.

Xaden lays her down on the cot, and then we all leave the room, letting Brennan do the rest.

The moment we are out of the door I look to the crowd and then back at Xaden. They get the hint, everyone leaves besides Bodhi, who is still unaware of the situation.

"So are you two going to tell me why Melgren isn't with us?" He folds his arms across his chest.

"Did we have to leave her there?" I ignore him. I'm truly questioning everything right now. I've followed Xaden my entire life because he saved me. I never really questioned his decisions, not until it came to her.

"I'm beginning to regret that myself. She knows everything about us from a book. If people get their hands on her. That could mean trouble." He combs his hand through his hair, releasing a big sigh.

"What are you two talking about?" Bodhi displays a very upset look.

"May was not really May, she was another soul. A soul that read a book about our world. She knows the future of our world."
Xaden tries to explain.

"That sounds ridiculous. Have you seen how May acts? She acts like a total airhead sometimes. How can she know the future?"

"She knew that Liam was going to die." Xaden clenches his fists at the thought. "She knew that we would battle the venin and she didn't warn us." He then whips his head to me. "How long have you known that she had another soul?" His gaze piercing through me.

"Since the first time I met her, eight years ago." I return his gaze.

"You two met before?" His eyes narrow further, however, I don't falter.

"You're right about her being an airhead, she spilled that she was stuck in another body by accident. She told me it was about two years ago, so that would make it eleven years ago since she entered that body." I answer his thoughts.