Chapter 7

Garrick

Cheering and shouting fills my ears. The scent of ale and spiked lemonade scattered through the air.

Some celebrate in different ways too. Spending time in euphoria with each other, distracting themselves from the reality.

It's something I want to do but can't. I'm too caught up on a certain girl to even think of doing it with someone else.

I sat next to Xaden in the gathering hall, watching as the other riders party like they have no care in the world. I sip the sweet wine, however it tasted more bitter than the one May gave us on the night of graduation.

I swirl the red liquid as it splashes against the rim of the cup.

It seems nothing is the same as it was before. They party as if no one is missing, as if no one died. I never really paid attention to the lives of others, only if they were directly related to me. Other than that I do not care if someone dies. It's none of my business and it will only cause pain if I do care.

"Did you manage to pack everything?" I ask Xaden, who has a pitcher of his own.

"There wasn't really much to pack."

"You spend three years here and you don't have much to pack?" I give him an odd look.

"Do you?" He counters.

I take a minute to think. "I guess I don't have much either."

The only things I packed were weapons and extra clothes. Nothing else was of any importance.

"What is something you'll never forget from this place?" Xaden stares at the partying riders as he speaks.

I didn't answer immediately. Many things have happened, some things were better than others. Some gave good memories, others gave crueler ones.

This hellish school gave me a lot to think about, it stripped me of the things I wanted to do. Formed me into someone who doesn't care much about the emotions of others. This is exactly how they use you.

How they accomplish their goal of building an army of fearless monsters.

"Threshing." I pause, following his gaze around the hall. "I'll never forget how you killed that bastard prince to save me. You gave yourself a bad reputation for me. And I'm grateful for it, even if it didn't turn out good for you."

My wine began to look like blood in my glass, it dripped down the inner sides.

"I would have done anything for my best friend. This life is hard enough. A life without someone like you would be hell." He answers looking at me.

"Well, aren't you being nice." I release a small chuckle. "What about you? Would you want to remember anything? A lot's been happening so you probably have pages on things you can't forget."

"Yeah, pages of things you can't forget even if you wanted to. But then again, they shape you into the person you are today. A leader, a friend, a brother, a lover." He inhales deeply.

"You've fallen hard too. She is the one you can't forget." I hint at Sorrengail.

"Yeah." His eyes follow and land on Sorrengail.

"You need to sort that out. You have to get her while she's still with you. Otherwise you'll regret it." I clench my fists, staring down at my wine.

Xaden gives me a sorrowful look.

"It will work out for you too, man. I'm sorry that I brought this on you."

I don't answer, just watching as Sorrengail approaches our table.