CH 38: 282-285 A.C.

Start from the beginning

"She is a Princess of Dorne." Ser Richard turned his sight to the little girl who was playing on her own nearby, stumbling as she ran after whatever she first saw moving. "And she will always be a Princess of the House of the Dragons."

"There has been no House of the Dragons for decades now. After this war, what remained of House Targaryen is gone. From henceforth, she will only be Lady Rhaenys."

Ser Richard snorted. "And yet there will always be those seeking the princess's life." He clearly didn't care about what Lord Eddard had said and continued to call the girl princess.

Lord Eddard didn't feel like arguing with him over a title. "Then, why didn't you take her with you?"

"Take her where? To Sunspear where her uncle might just surrender her to your friend for some semblance of peace?" The current Dorne was filled with Targaryen loyalists after its people heard of the brutal murder of Elia Martell. However, Dorne was still under the complete control of Prince Doran. Prince Oberyn was a rash warrior who knew only how to fight, not how to lead. Prince Gabriel was but a 5-year-old child, and Princess Irene was a 16-year-old girl. By now, she had already shown her intellect, but the current Irene didn't involve herself in politics and was far from having the influence she would have in the future.

Being around Rhaegar, Ser Richard knew more about Dorne than Lord Eddard. He also knew there was no place on this earth that would be completely safe. "Or would you prefer I take the princess across the Narrow Sea to live in exile? To have her sleep in a different place every night, fearing that assassins will find her someday?"

Lord Eddard cleared his throat, taking a moment to respond. "What makes you think Winterfell will be any safer?"

"You're a man of your word, Lord Stark. I know you will do your best to protect her now that you have taken that responsibility upon yourself. And if anything were to happen to the princess under your roof, I know the Usurper will lose the support of the North."

"I've known Robert far longer than your princess." It was as if that single sentence would reject what Ser Richard had said. But Lord Eddard didn't notice that he hadn't denied what Ser Richard implied.

Even if Lord Eddard hadn't noticed, Ser Richard had. Ser Richard didn't directly point it out, however. "And yet when you saw what was done to the princess's mother and brother, you stormed out of King's Landing after arguing with your long-time friend and took the princess with you despite all protest. It was Tywin Lannister who ordered their deaths. The Usurper only chose to ignore it, and yet you reacted like that. If the Usurper actually harmed an innocent child, a child under your protection, I would hope your anger would be many times greater."

"I will not avenge House Targaryen for you. Not after what they did to my family. Not after what your friend did." Even if Lord Eddard grew angry with Robert over Rhaenys's assassination, he didn't plan on starting a whole new war. At least he didn't think he would.

Ser Richard shook his head, figuring that Lord Eddard had misunderstood his intentions. "Rhaegar was many things, Lord Stark, but he was not a monster who would commit the crimes he was accused of. I knew him better than that. I was his friend. But I am sure you know more than me now."

Lord Eddard pressed his lips. He knew Ser Richard had no idea of what Lord Eddard had seen in the tower. This war had caught him by surprise like most. Even until Rhaegar was killed, Ser Richard didn't get the chance to meet his friend again to ask him for the truth. Though, it somehow felt as if he did. Ser Richard trusted his friend and prince enough to have figured out what happened.

"If he was such a good friend to you, why did your House fight against him?"

"My Lord Father chose to follow his liege. I refused and so I was kept prisoner in my own home throughout the war." Ser Richard's eyes sharpened. He didn't remember how many times he argued against his father's decision. Ser Richard was unable to do a thing during this war. But soon, someday... "I am my father's only heir. When he is gone, House Lonmouth will not side with the Usurper again. I don't need you to get revenge for Rhaegar in my stead, Lord Stark. I never planned to use your anger for that. It is not my place to seek revenge in their name either. I shall wait. Wait until the princess seeks to take it herself and regain her birthright."