007

7
_____________________________________________

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
And the very next day
You gave it away

I wanted to drown into the holiday tunes that thumped all around my family home but I knew it was time to face the music.

"I don't remember anyone asking you." I said to Dexter placing a smile on my face that I'm sure didn't quite reach my eyes.

I felt Marcus stiffen against but I squeezed his hand to reassure him.

Lately I've been feeling speechless whenever I was in his presence but it was time out for it, especially with Marcus standing beside me.

This is not the time nor the damn place

Charlie rose an eyebrow but said nothing about my smart remark. While Dexter's grin only widened.

"You must be Marcus, I've heard much about you." Charlie says breaking the silence. Marcus finally step away from me going to shake my father's hand.

"I hope all good things Mr. McKnight." He said.

"Yes very, I told my daughter if he's such a good man why hide him?" Charlie asks with a blank expression.

I wanted the ground to swallow me up whole. I quickly glanced my dad's way giving him a stern look that he didn't even acknowledge to my dismay.

Marcus hand wrapped back around my waist pulling me to his side. "I was wondering the same thing." He said looking down at me kissing my cheek.

"But I'm sure she had her reasons." He says. My dad only smiled in response. I was surprised that he was actually making an effort.

"Excuse my manners, this is Dexter a family friend." Dad says gesturing to Dexter almost dismissively.

"Nice to meet you." Marcus says.

"Likewise." Is all he replies flickering his eyes back to mine before walking off towards the dining room.

"I apologize for him he doesn't get out much." Marcus suffers a chuckle holding his hand to his mouth.

"No by all means, Dexter is as antisocial as a fucking hermit crab take no disrespect to his rude nature."

And there is the real Charlie He just couldn't go a second without cursing but Marcus didn't seem to mind thankfully. There were many of times when he scolded me about cursing so much.

He believed a woman with the mouth of sailor was the least bit of attractive.

"Duly noted." Marcus says.

"Come the party is this way." Dad gestures for us to  follow him. I grip Marcus hands hearing him release a deep breath of nerves I believe.

"You doing great." I whisper to him. He only gives me a small smile. I quickly let's go to my dismay but I pay it no mind.

That's right he did hate holding hands

When we finally make it to our dining room I'm instantly mesmerized by the hanging lights and Christmas decorations.

I didn't know why I got so shocked when we did this every year. There was an evergreen cloth table in front of us covered with food and different decorations.

Everyone sat talking and laughing with each other which brought a smile to my face. I had missed this more than I wanted to admit. New York City was a place thriving with people from all walks of life but there's nothing like being amongst family.