Chapter 1

"You should go back." River stared at his sister for a moment before his brows furrowed, "What?" He takes a bite out of his plain turkey and cheese sandwich and looks throughout the empty park.

"You don't look well...is what I'm saying."
"This is the best I've been."

River actually felt this way about himself, the dark circles and twitching didn't affect him, but it did affect Charlotte. He takes a sip of his water bottle and meets his little sister's eyes they both share.

"You look like you haven't slept in years."
"Recommend me an eye cream." Charlotte rolled her eyes and took a sip of her tea.
"I'm okay, really."
"Okay..." she dragged
"Okay...?" He didn't want to leave anything unsaid between them before she had to go back to her foster family. He was already eighteen by the time Charlotte was put in the foster care system, but he was okay with that, he didn't feel comfortable being with random people.

"I looked up therapists-" she said quickly and took a bite of her turkey sandwich.
"I told you I'm okay." He defended himself pensively as he waited for her to finish chewing.
"I know but therapy is good for you...even though I'm better than before you still force me to go."
"That's because you need it." She rolled her eyes again.
"That's a bad habit."
"I know..."
She looks at her phone after getting a notification.
"I have to go." She stands up from the old bench and stuffs her half-eaten sandwich in her bag
"I'll send you links to therapists and support groups in the area."
"What?"
"You acting like you can't hear me is a bad habit." She said flatly. "Promise me you'll look into it."

River could tell she was serious now and all he could do was nod. She leans over and they hug for at least a minute before she goes to the silver SUV that waited for her. River waved at her foster mom, Laura, and watched the car drive away. He sat in the park and finished his sandwich before leaving as well. He got back home to see the multiple links that were sent, all he could do was like the messages. As soon as he set down his phone he received another notification.

"R u busy still? I need a refill"

He groaned, putting his phone back in his pocket and grabbing his backpack, heading out the door. He mostly walked everywhere, but Evan sent his location after the text, and River knew he wasn't walking for that long. He arrived at the alley between the pharmacy and the corner mart, climbing out his car. He saw a girl sitting on the steps of the corner mart, her curly hair in a slicked back puff as she talked on the phone. He passed her and her perfume was strong enough for him to notice. Vanilla.

"Riv, I didn't think you'd show up, you left me on seen."
River took his bag out and pulled out different baggies and bottles.
"River, if you don't answer you'll hurt my feelings." Evan said sarcastically and pouted, making River look up deadpan.
"You lost your voice or something?"
"I'm in a hurry." Were River's first words that came out since he walked in the alley. "Don't be offended I usually don't text back"
"But aren't we like buddies?" He retorts then receives a blinking stare back from River.
"Okay...my feelings are officially hurt. Heart break can't compare to this man." Evan says then pulls out cash handing it to him. River puts the money in his backpack.
"So why are you in a hurry?" He asks simply because he's nosy.
"It's getting late...this area sucks when it's late." River says while tossing his bag on. "I'll see you when I see you."
Evan nods and River starts walking out the alley as soon as that vanilla girl is walking in, her eyes don't meet his, they're on Evan.

"Who were you on the phone with, Leila?" Evan inquires, see nosy.
"A friend... do you have the stuff now?"
"Fresh just for you." Evan hands her two prescription bottles containing the same white pill. She pulls her money out and hands it to him.
"Thank you"
"You know you're a pretty girl, you shouldn't have to use money for this stuff."
"Okay Evan bye now."
"Hold on, damn." He put the cash in his pocket and gave her his full attention.
"Are you coming to my housewarming?" Evan asks.
"Why would I come to your housewarming?" Leila squints and puts the small amber bottles in her purse.
"Because you skipped my housewarming?" He gives her a wide smile.
"You have a housewarming like every month, it might be bad luck at this point."
"Maybe the bad luck is you not showing up. Cmon just come, you don't work tomorrow, and you'll have fun, free food..." he goes on and on.
"I'll go, I might come late."
"Good."

Evan's attention is taken away from her as another customer walks down into the alley. Leila walks out of the alley and walks down the street to her own apartment. Unlocking the door she goes in and sees her friend and her boyfriend kissing on the couch.
"Yuck." She says this rather loudly, making a gagging noise. "I was gone for like 20 minutes at most."
Ingrid pulls off her boyfriend laughing, "I'm sorry."
Leila just laughs in response, knowing for a fact she wasn't sorry.
"Where did you go?"
"Just on a walk... I'll leave you and Jason alone..." she looks the couple up and down like a simple PDA moment was disgraceful. She went into her small room, the apartment was already small, but her room was quite literally pocket sized. She pulled the amber bottles out of her purse, sticking one in her bedside draw. The other one she popped open and took two pills, shut the bottles and stuck it under her pillow. She took a deep breath and sat on the floor with her hands holding her face.