Chapter 11: Cassandra

The night sky was far more captivating that evening. After Luke presented me with my gift, we walked just beyond my backyard to a small hill right above the houses, the ideal location to gaze down at the neighborhood below. Some were completely dark, and some were just rousing from their deep sleep as dawn was rapidly drawing near. We sat down close to a solitary boulder, my purple fleece blanket shielding us from the grasslands that were still cold beneath our feet.

"The stars look so pretty tonight. " I gawked at the scenery before me as we both laid down, our bodies sprawled across the horizon like the twinkling lights were. My pupils tried to focus on each one, every twinkle unmissed by my ever-faltering gaze.

"You smile at those things like they know your secrets," he chuckled as he answered, admiring every orb that decorated the dark ocean above us.

I do, I used to whisper to them at night whenever nursery rhymes couldn't get me to sleep. I thought.

"You talk like a book; so metaphorical," I answered back, smirking at his seemingly sentimental take at my amazement.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"That was a compliment," I assured. Picking up the painting, the overall image from a keen eye would've looked exquisitely dreamy but I failed to indulge the wholeness of the painting from just my point of view.

"Describe what I look like in this," I turned towards him, putting the canvas in between us and neatly propping it up.

"Well, your hair's done up in that red bow you always wear," he described. I closed my eyes. "The sunlight's brightly shining against your window, hitting your furrowed face while you smile down at whatever you're knitting. The sky's milky blue and the green trees tower over you. The colorful flowers line the flowerbed just below your house, a special touch if I do say so myself"

"Hmm' I like what I'm hearing so far" I commented, smirking. "But isn't it a little out of your comfort zone to incorporate such a colorful palette in your work?"

"I can expand my horizons!" I flinch a bit as I feel him sit up abruptly, an undoubtedly embarrassed flush brandishing his face as we speak. I laugh at his reaction, eyes still closed.

A comfortable silence fell upon us. The only distant noise is a car or two passing by and the gentle evening breeze making my skin prickle in response.

"Hey, I think we should get back now" he declared, poking my leg ever so slightly.

I remained in my spot, indifferent to his urgency to return home just yet.