Chapter 6: Luke

"We're moving out soon, Luke"

Dad's voice carried a weight that seemed to echo through the room. The news hung in the air, stale and dense. I turned my attention from the window to my parents, their faces etched with a mixture of differing expressions.

A persistent ringing echoed in my ears intensified, drowning out the patter of raindrops from outside. My gaze fell to the floor, disbelief settling in like an unwelcome guest. This can't be real. In the living room, raindrops drummed on the roof, intensifying the cacophony from my eardrums.

"Moving houses again, Mom?" I uttered, fixing them with weary eyes. Searching theirs for a glimmer of understanding.

"I believe it's necessary, sweetheart." Mom's words carried an attempt at reassurance, though her smile held a hint of sorrow. "You understand the demands of your dad's job, don't you?"

It's not like it surprised me in the slightest. As far as kindergarten, we've been bouncing around from neighborhood to neighborhood. It was one reason I had little to no lasting friendships that remained through the years, it also didn't help that my parents weren't the most sociable people in the world. My mind immediately went to Cassie, the random girl who started hanging out with me. I don't know if I could consider her a friend. I'm not sure if it'll be important to tell her this upcoming change either.

I didn't fail to notice the bruise on my mom's legs as they began to outline the details of our upcoming move, the escalating predicament getting on my nerves even more.

I went up to my room, slamming the door as I hurried in. Running my hands through my already messy locks of hair. Trying to calm down, I fell on my bed; staring up at the ceiling as the rain continued to become louder and louder, confusing the jumbled thoughts that raced my mind. I didn't have the energy in me to grapple with my guitar or any sense of creative direction to ease my anxiety.

There was a knock on my door.

"Luke, I need to talk to you" Dad's voice spoke through the door. Getting up from my bed, I approach the door and with a deep breath and turn the knob.

He was standing there, with his hands in his pocket. His presence cast a shadow against the dimness of my room, and he cleared his throat in a poor attempt to break the silence that hung in the air like the storm cloud outside.

"What is it?" I bluntly replied, staring up at him but diverting my eyes from the wall just behind his head. The room was feeling claustrophobic each second we took to get to our points.

Taking a solid, but hesitant step forward into my room, he continued, "I know this isn't easy for you. Change can be tough but, it's best for the family. A new beginning"

I averted my eyes, now staring at the floor. I couldn't help but let out a quiet snicker at his comment.

"Your mom and I are doing what we think is best, Luke" he added, his tone carrying an underlying frustration in his voice. I was getting to him with my antics and he knew it. His once calm demeanor now shifted and slowly simmered with malice beneath the surface.

"I don't wanna hear it, Dad" I finally spoke, disdain present in my determined voice. "And besides, we both know Mom has nothing to do with this"

In an instant, he was right in my face. His eyes filled with fury as he gripped my neck, steadily putting pressure on my trachea. I choked out, my airways screaming at me for air. Being slightly elevated, I felt my feet swing in the air and my hands grip the hands of the monster that now