Chapter 4: Love is A Gamble & I'll Gamble Everything for You

"I'm not leaving you. You are worth the risk, do you hear me? You're always going to be worth the risk."—Bone Crier's Moon by Kathryn Purdie

SAND

The next few days, Ray blatantly tried to ignore me every time we met during our gig days and I tried my best to get a reaction from him. I did not care if it was anger, I know he's struggling to push me away, so I kept approaching.

He would try his best to escape as soon as his set was completed and I saw another person pick him up with a car. One time when he was still playing, a very handsome man came in and sat in the corner. Ray only spotted him after his set and he beelined for him. He hugs him briefly and explains something to which Ray nodded before sitting down. I was still in the bar when the handsome man approached to order, one Negroni and Ray's favorite scotch on the rocks. Plug chatted him up as he prepared the drinks and he said his name is Khan. He's a Doctor and is here to pick up a friend. Just how many friends does Ray have who treats him like a god damned princess and always makes sure he has a ride home?

Finally unable to stop myself, "you're here for Ray?" I asked the man.

Looking at me confused, I pointed at Ray and raised my eyebrows.

"Oh... yeah... yeah... Ray. Yeah I'm here for him," he nodded. I'm confused why he seemed to not know his name.

"Boyfriend?" I tried to sound nonchalant as I sip my beer but Plug was invested and was listening to the conversation.

"Aye? I mean Ray? No, no. He's my boyfriend's best friend. My boyfriend was supposed to pick him up but he had something important to attend to, so I came for him instead," he explained. He was about to leave but he did a double take when he finally looked in my face. "Akk" he mutters.

"Excuse me?" I put down my beer bottle to look at him.

"Sorry, you looked like a good friend of mine," he replied.

"Ray's ex boyfriend I suppose?" I smirked.

"How do you know about Akk?" He now looks utterly confused.

"Ray mentioned him a bit during a conversation and how we look very similar," I told him.

"Oh... just that Aye... I mean Ray never talks about him not even to us, you must be close then," he concludes. "It's good to meet you..." offering me his hand.

"Sand. My name is Sand. It's good to meet you too but I think I'm more good looking than your dumb friend," I smiled at him.

"Dumb?" he asked, surprised I had an opinion on someone I hadn't met.

"Didn't he break Ray's heart?" I pointed out, "his dumb. Ray doesn't look like someone you want to lose."

Smiling knowingly as if he finally understood my intention, "just a piece of advice, Ray hates talking about Akk and our highschool experience. If you want to be closer to him, talk to him about music or books and take him to the beach. He's crazy for them."

He picks up his negroni and Ray's scotch, thanks Plug and goes back to Ray.

"Could you be any more obvious? It's a good thing that man doesn't seem to scare easily," Plug points out.

I shrugged and picked up my beer.

———

Saturday came swiftly and I was being dressed up by the stylist assigned to me by the company. Beth was fussing over the last minute details of my production number and Ria is putting finishing touches on my make up. We were supposed to arrive at the company ball, get our picture taken and make sure to be seen. I already know I have to go on stage, so that would take care of my being seen. I don't think I'm up to rubbing shoulders with high society or even fellow artists. I don't think my lifestyle matches theirs.