Chapter 12

"What do you mean you're not Luran Nadartach?" I ask even though I had been informed about him not being one.

"I have no connection to fire." Elan states motioning to the small campfire to his right. "No matter what I do I can't hear or control it."

"Then how did they know you are a Nadartach?" I ask

He responds by lifting up his shirt to show a nacemerke on his...well chiseled chest. "I see." I respond hoping I don't sound too shocked. "Wait. Why does it look like that?" I realize his nacemerke isn't like others from Lurani tribes. Luran nacemerkei usually are lighter in color and always form three circles. Elan's has three circles but the color is pitch black and one circle seems split in the middle.

"I don't know. It didn't look like that when I was born. Both my parents are nadartachi so they knew what nacemere was supposed to look like. My mother said it changed as I grew, first becoming darker and then the circle splitting." Elan explains as he puts his shirt back on.

"So you became an outcast because of it?"

He shook his head as he put another log on the fire, turning his head as the flames grew brighter. "No one really cared. I didn't go off showing or advertising about it. Everyone just knew that I was nadartach. When I was 16, I started having problems with my vision. The sun and campfires bothered me too much. It felt like knives were being driven into my eyes. I started staying home, refusing to leave during the day and staying away from fire when I could."

"Don't make the fire brighter for my sake." I blurt out realizing that's what was bothering him. "I don't need to have fire."

Elan nods as he backs away from the fire and sits more in the shadows. "Night became more comfortable for me. I would do night watch more than the other guards.."

"Wait other guards? You were part of the military?" I ask

"All Lurani are part of the military for a few years. I stayed in longer since it kept people from asking me to work during the day." Elan explains. "That's where I met Tiran, Branam's sister."

"Branam had said that you saved his daughter." I note a slight smile on Elan's face when I said that.

"I did...only to get punished for it." He sighs. "Tiran was playing with her niece near the woods when a bear attacked. They both are normteach and were caught off guard. Tiran is amazing with a sword but she couldn't get to it in time. I heard her yelling as the bear went after her niece. Instinct took over and I suddenly was in front of the bear hugging the child and then disappearing into the shadows. The bear turned to attack Tiran but she had gotten to her sword in time. It ran off and I came out of the shadows holding a passed out child. Eventually other guards came running and Tiran told them that I had protected Branam's daughter. She never told them what I had done." suddenly his voice gets quiet. "She didn't care that I was different." He whispers.

"Then what happened?" I ask trying to wrap my head around the story. 

"Kids tend to talk." He smirks "Tiran did her best to downplay what her niece was saying but Branam started to get suspicious. He noted how I was always on night duty. I told him it was because I liked the slight pay raise." Elan sits on the ground and looks up at the sky. "He said I didn't have to stay in the military any more. Since I saved his daughter he wanted me to be her bodyguard." a chuckle escapes him. "When I refused Branam thought I was thinking I was better than him. Branam has always believed that people are out to get him." Elan stopped. I became aware at how difficult it was for him to talk about what happened.

"You don't have to say any more if it's painful." I told him, unconsciously reaching out to comfort him.

Elan gave a small smile as he nodded. "Let me show you." He responded as he took a hold of my hand.