My hold on Cane tightens and I whisper, "Are—are these people..."

"Yetis. Yes."

They are so human-like, walking around with shopping bags and colorful knitted scarves circling their necks. Some wear nothing but the fluffy white fur covering their bodies and others dress it up with skirts or enormous shoes.

"Góðan daginn, herra Dagon," a yeti with a deep voice says, dipping its head in greeting.

"Góðan daginn, Hugo," Cane replies.

I whip around with my mouth gaping and watch the monster as he disappears into a nearby shop. "You speak Icelandic too."

Cane releases me and slides his hands in his pockets, setting into a lazy stroll. "I do. How else would I communicate with the beings in my community?"

I unfreeze myself from my spot on the walkway and walk up to him, tugging on his elbow to bring him to a stop. "Wait, wait. Hold on, you've got to give me this one answer, please."

He just looks at me blankly, and when he doesn't walk away from me, I continue.

"That morning Elias told me he figured out I was speaking Icelandic...we were in the gardens...but it wasn't him at all, was it? It was you."

His lips twitch as he fights back a smile. "Let it be known that the lady isn't only beautiful, but smart as well."

Yetis turn around to gawk at me, and I punch Cane on the arm. "You are so embarrassing!"

He waves to a couple across the street as he says, "I said I'd get you out of the house. There were no promises of behaving myself."

I shake my head and also fail at fighting back a smile. But then I remember something else about that morning.

"I came onto you pretty strong that day. I remember it well...and you didn't so much as lay a hand on me," I say, and I have to admit I'm feeling like an ass after accusing him of being predatory the other day.

Cane stops walking and turns to face me. "I don't claim to be a good being, Cordelia. I'm far from it."

"Hence your inclination toward kidnapping."

"Hence that. But I would never take something like that unless it was freely given to me."

"That's good to know. I'm sorry I assumed the worst of you," I say, and I mean it. I kind of already knew Cane wouldn't do something like that, based on his track record of not taking advantage of me when he had all the opportunities in the world to do it. But it was a comfort to hear him say it so sincerely.

He simply nods and we stay silent for another couple seconds.

"And the soul bond? How does that work?"

Cane crams his hands back into his pockets and begins walking again. "Your guess is as good as mine. Some cosmic force out there likes to pair souls. It is normally a connection between two beings and only really felt by supes. Some say it is because the Maker's magic runs through us. But the bonds between you and Elias and me and you are unique."

My heart hammers at that. We are something outside of the norm. Does that make our connection greater than others? I'd hate to think so. How could I walk away from something that was especially designed for me, no matter how pissed I am at Elias.

"Why? Why are we different?" I ask.

"Best guess," he spares me a sidelong glance, "because mine and Elias's situation as vampires is unique. Not only are we twins but we were created by our sire on the same night. We are like super twins."