The Day I Learned to Fly

Dylan and Jilly hung around for the rest of the afternoon. Moreno took me back into the training room, and I confirmed my spectacular knife skills with my cousin.

Dylan's mouth hung open after watching me throw three sets. He picked up my knives from the floor and centered himself ten feet away from the target.

I watched his knife soar and barely lodge itself at the board's edge. His second knife went wide of the bulls-eye, and his third clattered against the back wall.

"This isn't easy," Dylan said. "I don't know how she can do that, Moreno."

"Well, I think she's brilliant," Jilly said. "Maybe it's a princess thing?"

Moreno gave Dylan a knowing look. Clearly, this was not a princess thing. Neither boy had any idea why I could throw knives like a professional.

The boys moved back to the weapons case. Dylan drew one of the blue guns, and his hand wrapped around it like he'd done this a thousand times.

"These are safe," he said. "Granmam taught me how to fire one when I was fourteen. I'd avoid getting shot by one, though. It takes hours for the numbing to wear off."

I wasn't used to seeing Dylan so comfortable with weapons. To me, my cousin was the lovable goof who roped cattle and tied barbed wire. This was an entire side of him that seemed like a stranger.

He stepped up to the target and fired six rounds into the center of the bulls-eye. I could tell by his focus that he knew what he was doing. He even reloaded the gun before handing it to Moreno.

"Not bad," Moreno said. "I'm guessing you're not as good with moving targets."

"Who is?" Dylan asked.

Moreno looked like he wanted to answer that question, but he closed his lips and checked that the gun was properly loaded before handing it to me.

The moment the gun was in my hands, the panic was back. I swallowed back the fear and squared off in front of the target.

"Relax your shoulders," he said. "When you're ready, raise your hands and fire."

I glanced at Dylan briefly. He nodded. Then, I turned back to face the target and exhaled slowly. Then, I squeezed the trigger.

I half expected the gun to fly out of my hands. Instead, the bullet hit the center of the target. As if by muscle memory, I reloaded the gun and fired again.

"Terri," Dylan said. "You'd tell me if your dad took you to a gun range, right?"

"I don't think she's fired a gun before," Moreno said. "Her form is tense but flawless. It's almost like... but... it can't be that."

"Like what?" Jilly asked.

"There are halfants and giants who don't have to be taught things," Moreno said. "But that's because twins share skills. Your grandmother's twin sisters, for example."

"Terri isn't a twin," Dylan said. "You know that story is propaganda. Her mother made it all up. She can't have skills like that."

I frowned. "Propaganda?"

"Your mother wants the throne," Moreno said. "She swore up and down when you were born that she had a son. Then, when it came out you were a girl, she changed her story and claimed she had twins. She's a known liar. You're her only daughter, Terri. There's some other explanation. Maybe some magic I don't know about."

"You're sure?" Jilly asked.

Moreno nodded. "There's nothing the nobility like more than gossip. Ellenora always twists what she can. That's what got her thrown from court."