Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

The penthouse has a modern city look with dark wood floors that are designed in a parquet style, and huge windows. As we walk further inside, I see it's an open layout concept. The kitchen is something Julian would salivate over, with shiny black sparking counters including a big island and modern-looking cabinets and appliances. A crystal chandelier hangs down over the kitchen.

The kitchen walks right into the sizable living room, that's decorated minimally with navy blue couches and a plush rug. It's cleanly designed with minimal decor, but the floor-to-wall windows provide a view of the city scape that's breathtaking. That view is probably the only decor one needs in a place like this, I suppose.

It has a masculine feel but classy, very Oliver. Not really my style. I prefer something cozier and more colorful, but I can appreciate how nice his place is.

"This place is amazing," I compliment him.

"Thanks. My room and the guest room are upstairs." Oliver comments as he motions to a wide stairway that goes up. "I asked my assistant to get a bed ready for you, and she hopefully was able to get you some clothes too. I don't know what would've been open, so she probably lent you some of her own."

"What? When?" I am bewildered as I follow Oliver up the stairs. He leads me to the first bedroom on the right and opens up the door.

"I texted her earlier from the airport. Listen, Kinsey, about that..."

I lose focus as I take in the bedroom.

This is a guest room?

Once again, the back wall is covered in windows, but there are creamy-colored curtains that can be closed. This room is a little more feminine, which makes me wonder if that's by design. A pretty peach colored fluffy bedspread sits atop a four-poster bed, with tons of pillows. On either side of the bed are two end tables with glass tops, empty other than an alarm clock. The wall across from the bed has a flat-screen television mounted up.

There is a coach-style duffel bag on the bed and a smaller one next to it. I walk over and open the smaller bag first and find it full of toiletries, makeup, and a package of new underwear. So, his assistant found something that was open. I'm relieved for that.

I open the bigger bag and find quite a few clothes, folded neatly inside. There are a few pairs of jeans, some leggings, several blouses a few dresses. Even a couple of pairs of shoes. Hopefully, they fit because there is a pair of black ankle boots that are super cute.

"Wow, this is so fancy," I hold up one of the black dresses. It's pretty though, a short halter style silky dress, with little glittery decals in the skirt.

"I told her to try to keep it casual, but that's not exactly her style... um, about that..."

"About what?"

"My assistant..." Oliver shifts on his feet looking a little nervous. "You kind of know her."

"What? How?"

"It's Erin, Kinsey."

"What, Erin as in Hunter's ex?" I ask as I shake my head slowly. "She's your personal assistant?"

"For years now," he confirms.

"What why? How did that happen?"

"Kinsey, come on, you can't be mad about this."

"She was my arch-rival!"

"She was not!" Oliver looks to be holding back a laugh at that which only further angers me. "You are still so overdramatic."

"She hated me."

"You were into her boyfriend, of course, she didn't like that," Oliver says. "But she and Hunter had a mutual breakup, and she was over all that by the time school ended. All she cared about at that point was going to LA and modeling."