Chapter 18 [The Ball: Part 2]

Start from the beginning

"Hey, I think they're very nice jeans," he replied, raising his hands in defense. 

She looked into his blue eyes, and saw his sandy brown hair, and couldn't help smiling. Gosh, he was cute! I wonder if he's single. Where the hell, did that rogue thought come from?

"A secret passage way?" she asked instead.

"The palace has a few, but this one has only one route and it leads to the place Queen Lucilla wanted him to be." Thane informed her, as they made their way back down the hallway.

"How can you be so sure he actually follows the passage? He could probably stay right where he is whole night." Catie pointed out.

"He could," Thane said, "but it’s dark, and cramped- not to mention very hot and the lack of ventilation means no air to breathe properly after a while, so he either follows the passage or stand there and die."

"Does he know that? What if he dies? We can't just leave him there, no matter how evil he is," she turned to go back to the passageway, but Thane stopped her.

"Before he was the Royal Elder, he was King. And before he was King, he was the Crown Prince," He said to her, but she didn't really catch his drift, and just stared at him as if he lost his mind.

Sighing, he further explained, "The palace has been the home for the royal family since the dawn of time. And hidden passageways are means of escaping or quickly concealing one's self in case of an emergency, but most lack proper ventilation, as it is not supposed to be a place to linger. All the royals know this, including Erland. And he has no plan to die any time soon, so he'll definitely move along the passage."

"Where the Queen wants him to be?" she queried. 

"Yes. And where the doors are locked, and heavily guarded. The only way out is by King -or Queen's order." He finished.

"Whoa," was all she said as they continued their walk down the hallway. 

"Yes, 'Whoa' is right," Thane said, "Now time for phase two of Her Majesty's plan." 

Catie had always admired the Royal family. She may hate the fact that working for them destroyed her father, but she figured that was more his Royal Elder's fault than anyone else's. But tonight, Queen Lucilla took on another light, and Catie saw her as much more than a fashion icon and Queen. The woman was one hell of a master mind!

***

"Reporters? At the Royal Ball?" Stefanos asked his brother, stunned. 

"Well Erland had planned a big intimidation for us tonight. He more than likely would want it to be publicized." Leonidas told his brother.

 The two were standing just inside the alcove of the garden, overlooking the ball. They were partially secluded, but persons could still see them. Elise was talking to Tatiana and Helena, while The King and Queen were conversing with Karin and Randolph van Hastening. 

So far they haven't heard from Thane to know if he and Catie were able to get Erland to the secret passageway. But they haven't seen Erland as yet either, so they took that as a good sign.

"What are we going to do then?" The Young Prince asked, "We can't exactly send them away. They were personally invited by His Royal Elder. And seeing as this is the first time public photographers are allowed access to a Royal Ball, everyone showed up."

There were always photographers there at balls now and balls held before, but they were Palace officials. And only pictures that were approved by a Royal body, usually the Queen and her ladies in waiting, were posted on the Royal website for the public to access.