8. Playtime's Over

A silent car ride wasn't something I was unfamiliar with. Whenever I did something wrong as a kid, my mom always made sure to make me realize her disappointment. The sighs, the concerned looks; I always understood what I did was wrong, in some aspects. What parts? I was too young to comprehend the reasoning. All that struck me was to do the opposite. It wasn't a perfect formula, but that was the best the youthful me could come up with.

And yet, a hundred of those car rides didn't feel nearly as threatening as this one.

Piltover, even in nightfall, was illuminated by a myriad of lights. The City of Progress was like a living organism in of itself, bearing no time for rest. The radiance came and went for split seconds, detailing just how fast we were going.

I turned my face towards to my left, as Evelynn focused forwards on the empty highway. It was impossible to read her, a blank emotion bore on her face. The only sound emitting was the light hum of the engine, barely filling the air between us. I couldn't sense my breath or my heart, the cool air from the A/C enveloping every inch of my body. My mouth felt brittle, and my spine feeling like it would snap from the lightest of contacts. I faced back towards the window, as I let out an audible exhale.

Evelynn: Not much of a conservationist, are we?

On second thought, I preferred the deafening silence. Her voice was alluring, but a snap behind it made my nerves scream out, sending goosebumps onto my skin. The speed at which sweat started to build up inside me was a signal.

Y/N: Do you think what I did was wrong?

I decided to not beat around the bush, getting straight to the point. The words left my mouth as I laid my head against the window, the rattling of the car making it feel uncomfortable. Although, it felt nice to have some weight be lifted off of my body. I let out an audible sigh, before a moment of silence returned once more.

Evelynn: Is that not a question you ask yourself first?

Y/N: Outside perspective is always nice.

The retort was left in the air for a few moments, as the sound of her nails clacking against the steering wheel made me bite my lips ever so slightly.

Evelynn: Do you believe that there is always a right side and a wrong side, no matter the context or situation?

Y/N: I figured you were one of those people who never gave a straight answer.

Evelynn: Letting the human mind wander is always humorous to watch.

Her tone didn't change a single time, making me wonder if she even thought of what she was saying.

Evelynn: We are the pinnacle of society. Expectations are held against us much, much higher.

And yet, she continued on, as if she gave me an answer I was looking for, if a bit vague. But I understood it fully. Just as my mind was starting to drift, we entered a tunnel, the night sky and countless street lights replaced by the continuous flow of grey concrete. My reflection showed, a feint bruise on my cheek staining my face, making a mockery of me.

Y/N: Than this life might not be for me.

Evelynn: Am I taking that as your resignation?

I could sense the slightest bit of sarcasm, and yet, I couldn't even laugh, or come up with a reply. I pulled my face back from the window, as my body lowered even further into the seat, closing my eyes. My heart felt like it was sinking, the thoughts in my head swarming around the same words that used to haunt me.

Another failure.

A few hours ago

Akali: So, you can make anything with your water powers?