The real mastermind

DYLAN'S POV
I opened the door to the ancient mansion which I had vowed not to enter anymore but I have entered it not once but twice now. I can say someone should leave his or her past behind because the future may hold something great that the eyes cannot see.

I turned back and ushered Marvin and my comes aunt in. "Dylan you must complete the reason why we have come here quickly, it is midnight and the power of the moon is at its peak. You have to dip the gem in the sacred water after praying" Marvin said while I walked up to the altar which was built in a corner of the large room. "I will join you then" I heard my aunt's voice while I smiled.

In the middle of the altar was a small pond, it was designed so beautifully with seashells that shimmered like the stars high up in the sky. It all made me remember when my father used to bathe in it and Marvin also did the same on the night of the unfortunate incident.

The moonlight reflected off the small pond, casting a silvery glow over the surface. Amid the stillness, a ripple spread out from the center, ruffling the mirror-like surface. causing the glistening pond to stir. I dived into the water then I assumed my merman form immediately while Marvin and Aunt took their seats beside the pond and closed their eyes as well before I closed mine.

I opened my eyes as soon as I felt the gem exit my forehead, I gazed up into the sky from the small opening where the moon reflected directly into the pond. I picked up the gem right in front of my head and dipped it into the water then I closed my eyes and concentrated on the ritual.

Marvin called out my name after a while and I opened my eyes to see him, he told me the ritual had ended and I looked high up to the sky and found no moon. I understood the ritual was completed, I bent downwards and picked my gem as I consecrated it back in my forehead. "That is the end, let us leave quickly before anyone wakes up," Aunt said as I found my way out of the water quickly.

*****
I stormed into Marvin's room as I called out his name. "Marvin! Marvin, what's wrong? why can't I assume my merman form? I had gone to relax in the water for a bit and I couldn't assume my real form" I told Marvin as I bit my fingers non-stop. "where did they go? how?" he asked me as if I knew the answer to the question and that pissed me off a little. "I swear I don't know" I replied shortly after some hesitation. It has been two days since I noticed that happened "You have to know, how do you protect yourself now?" he asked me as he sat on the mattress without a reply.

"I don't know, the Isnamerman can lose his powers only when his gem is tampered with. Something must be wrong with your gem one way or the other, so someone in this house must have done it according to what's coming to my head right now" he paused for a moment while I stared at him with my two arms crossed on my chest "And it was done when you were performing the ritual on the moon night. When we had gone there to the mansion I vividly remember that you were still with your gem, so who else was there when you removed the gem?" Marvin asked as he lay on his bed.

I racked my head as I tried to remember who was present "The only people there were myself, you, and aunt" I replied
"Aunt!" Marvin explained. "yes and since then I have been feeling weak somehow for the past two days" I explained further and then the grin on Marvin's face explained everything I needed to understand. Marvin suspected Aunt, why?

*********
Aunt paced up and down in her room while I looked on from outside. She ranted all over since morning and that gave me goosebumps ".... so if Bola did not send the message to threaten me, then who?" Aunt asked herself but I gave a readymade answer as I opened the door and responded, "Yes I did". She turned back and stared at me immediately I responded to her rhetorical question.

"I had instructed Marvin to send a text message using Bola's phone to the chief of the traitors and it turned out to be you. My suspicions were right, so you are the mastermind! my very own aunt" I said as I closed the door and moved closer to her. "so you meet me on the road was no coincidence but part of your plan, now I understand everything. But why are you doing this aunt?" I asked her but she gave no reply then she turned her head downwards.