Chapter 4

The calm before the storm

      A cold front came through. The river was starting to unthaw, but it's sure as hell frozen back over now.

      Thomas and I spent last night making lists of things we will need for our inventory when we go rescue Jack. I've spent a lot of time with Thomas the past couple of days, Luke's in and out but he spends most of his days inside, whereas Thomas spends his days out. Right now, we don't have indefinite jobs for me, I guess I could be considered a floater, but I still mostly stick with Thomas and his jobs, which fairly enough are pretty fun. 

However this morning is a little different, our water stock is low. The boys usually do the water, but they've had a lot on their Plate, somehow the infected keeps breaching past the fence surrounding the cabin, it's far into the woods and I didn't think this cabin land ever had a fence around it, but apparently Thomas was building on it before the outbreak and finished not that long ago. Apparently, the people my grandma use to rent from sold this cabin to Thomas.

I layer a hoodie that Thomas let me borrow on my already long sleeve shirt, it's absolutely freezing this morning.

I open my door to an empty living room, I walk out a little farther and peak into the kitchen, empty. The boys must still be asleep. I try to be as quiet as possible and tip toe over to the bay window, which is also where the kitchen table sits, Luke has slowly been drawing up a map of the facility and I wanted to overlook it before the guys wake up, I have really enjoyed living with people again, but having quiet time in the morning has also been nice. Living with young guys I feel like noise constantly surrounds me, that's definitely a con. But don't get me wrong it's got its pros too.

~

      I hear one of the boys coming up the steps. They both sleep in the basement and though it is a small cabin, thankfully there's three floors. Upstairs is just a loft bedroom with a connected bathroom which thankfully will be where I will be sleeping it's just right now, I don't want to ask Thomas to clean out the little fireplace up there. I'm sure he will get to it sooner rather than later. The ground floor holds the kitchen and living room, and a small bedroom which is where I sleep for now, and of course a bathroom. My favorite thing about this cabin by far is the table. It outlooks the scenery of the river and the mountains and is so beautiful. 

    Thomas walks into the kitchen "Oh hey I didn't figure you'd be up yet." he pulls his hood up over his head as he adds "bur gosh damn it's cold in here."

"Yeah, you're telling me that's part of what woke me up" I say though it came out a bit more whiney than what I intended.

He chuckles, "Guess Luke forgot to put logs in the fireplace before he went to bed last night, I think he stayed up pretty late." I saw Thomas glance over at me waiting for me to say something.

I nod, "he was still outside when I came in."

"I thought so" he said "Well since you're up you want to help me get the fish? We can go ahead and get the water while were down there too."

"Yeah, that'd be fun" or so I thought it would be.

~

      Down to the river a comfortable silence lingered.

Thomas breaks it, "Your name isn't Taylor" I look over to him, he said it as a statement not a question. To be 100% I forgot I even gave them a fake name. 

"What makes you say that?" I ask.

"Well is it?" I shake my head no.

"Well?"