𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒

It was the most marvellous morning.

Jaehyun was sat behind his sleek office desk, dressed in a remarkable three-piece black suit with his hair neatly combed away from his face and a pleasant smile on his face.

He had arrived at the office early today, even before the receptionist, and those who saw him, claimed, that he skipped his way to the elevator with his briefcase swinging by his side.

Humming his favourite tune, he picked up the newspaper. On the front page, in bold letters, was the headline of his own arrest followed by the apology statement that Mr. Nakamoto had taken care of. On a usual day, he would have raised a ruckus at the unflattering picture the paper had used of him – red face, flared nostrils, dishevelled hair and dirty clothes with sweat patches beneath his armpits – but there was something different in the air today.

Sighing, he took a long sip of his freshly brewed coffee. There was a soft light filtering through the windows and for a brief moment, he could swear he heard the birds chirp outside. But he shook his head. It was as impossible as Haeyoung praising him.

Ah, Haeyoung... he sighed again, surprising himself when a smile creeped up his lips at the thought of her. Where was she anyway. He had been waiting. Just as he craned his neck to peek at her office, a knock brought him back, the coffee mug almost slipping from his grip as he straightened up.

But it was only Deoksoo, the Administrative Head.

'Good morning, Mr. Jung.' Deoksoo bowed lower than was necessary. He was a tall, lean man with sharp features and a grin he liked to wear all the time near Jaehyun, trying to gain the President's favour.

'Come in,' Jaehyun said, his smile faltering for a bit at the disappointment but he was patient. 'Did you bring the files I asked for?'

'Here, Mr. Jung,' Deoksoo said, offering the files as though they were sacred texts.

Jaehyun gave him a nod.

But Deoksoo lingered like he always did. 'You are happy today,' he remarked. 'Is it because of the proposal we sent to Mr. Moon Taeil for the partnership?'

'Did I ask you to stay here?' Jaehyun said, without looking up.

'No, Mr. Jung.'

'Then, get out.'

'What?'

'Get out,' Jaehyun repeated, looking up at him then at the door.

'Right.' Deoksoo quickly bowed and scuttled out of the office.

'Ah, where is she?' Jaehyun groaned, tossing the files aside.

That's when he heard it – Haeyoung's loud screech thundering through the office floor, followed by hurried, angry clanks of her heels.

Suppressing his smile, he leaned back in his chair, holding up the newspaper in front of his face pretending that he had not been waiting for this exact moment since last night.

'What the fuck is this?' Haeyoung burst through the door, pulling with her a timid, wide-eyed boy by his collar, who seemed to want to be anywhere else but there.

'Hm?' Jaehyun looked up at her, innocently.

Haeyoung knew of his games well. The sweet look on his face, his nonchalant attitude, and the smirk he was trying to suppress, she knew the devil behind it all.

'What is this?' she seethed, enunciating each word, tightening his grip on the boy, who was on the verge of tears.

'Haeyoung...' Jaehyun shook his head. 'Not what, but who is this? Tch tch, really what has happened to your manners?'