Chapter Eleven

Oscar leaned against the large mantelpiece, taking a sip of the whisky his Uncle Matthew had brought back from his most recent trip to Scotland. He welcomed the burn as it slid down his throat and warmed his stomach.

Because, although he was enjoying a reprieve from Cecily and her lunatic mother, he was at that very moment watching Emily and Westwood laugh as they sat facing each other on the far side of the parlour. They were much too close for his liking.

It felt like an age since he had last talked to her, when in reality it had only been a couple of days. And in those days, he has been witness to many occasions where he had to endure Westwood trying to charm Emily. To his mortification, it looked to be working.

Oscar stared like a horse wearing blinkers. The rest of the world blocked out. That is until a very attractive female happened upon his line of sight. She was heading straight for him, a look of mischief played upon her face. Instantly, he became weary.

Lady Madden positioned herself next to him in front of the small fire and looked across at Emily and Westwood.

"Such charming manners," she said.

"Pardon?" Oscar asked, somewhat confused.

"Lord Westwood, such a charming man." She looked at Oscar and smiled.

"I have it on good authority that you are a happily married woman, Lady Madden. Surely the charms of Lord Westwood could not interfere with such a union."

Looking back at the pair, she replied, "I am not thinking of myself in this instance. You are right, Lord Trentham. I am very happy, and do you know what makes me even more elated?"

Oscar shook his head.

"When others find a love match. So many marry for wealth, or title, that when I see the potential for a love union, I love nothing more than interfering. And I believe I see a spark between those two," finished Isabel.

Oscar stood silently as he watched Emily laugh again at something Westwood had said. His grip around his glass became almost painful. He did not like the way she looked at Westwood; he did not like what Lady Madden had said. Emily deserved better than a love blind fool afraid of his own mother.

"You cannot tell another soul, but I have it on good authority that wedding bells could be ringing by the end of the year."

He could hear the weather outside turning along with his mood. Then, as the first drops of rain smashed against the windows, Cecily and her mother entered the room.

Of course, they made a beeline for Oscar, but this time he actually welcomed it. Anything to bring the horrid conversation with Lady Madden to an end.

Lady Madden smiled and said good evening. Their response was frosty. Again, not unexpected.

Before he had the chance to open his mouth, Lady Madden added, "you must be thrilled to see your niece getting on so well with a Duke, Mrs Andrews. That would be a very grand match indeed."

They turned in unison to look at Emily and Westwood and watched them rise from their seat. She linked her arm through his and started taking a turn about the room.

"Hmmm," was all Mrs Andrews said in response.

Oscar was never one to be outdone. He offered his arm to Cecily, ignoring the other ladies, and asked her to join him for a turn as well.

The look on her face made him quickly realise his poor judgement, but it was too late. He had already committed.

"You look very dashing this evening, Lord Trentham," said Cecily, batting her eyelashes at him. It was a little unsettling.

"Thank you, Miss Andrews. You yourself look extremely well."

He could not bring himself to say anything more flattering than that. He did not wish to poke the bear, because once unleashed, he would have one hell of a time getting it back under control. And the last thing he wanted to do was give Cecily and her mother false hope.

He kept the conversation simple as they walked at a slow pace. Now and then they would both look in Emily and Westwood's direction on the other side of the room. But Emily was yet to notice them.

Perhaps if he made Cecily laugh, that would get their attention?

"You will never believe what I saw yesterday, Miss Andrews." She looked up at him very curious indeed." A pig got out and headed for the newly laundered white sheets hanging in the garden."

"Oh no," Cecily gasped and put her hand to her mouth.

"Oh no indeed, it snagged one as it ran past, covering it from head to toe. It then ran to the vegetable patch where the poor young garden hand saw it and cried ‘ghost’."

Oscar gave a little smile as Cecily broke out in laughter. It had been very amusing to witness.

Still smiling, he looked towards Emily. That had definitely got her attention. She looked at them in confusion. Good, he thought. She could now enjoy a taste of her own medicine. It was her turn to feel a pang of jealousy.

He also enjoyed making Cecily laugh. It had a lovely sound to it, and her entire face lit up when she smiled in earnest.

He told her more stories of humorous things that happen about the estate that young ladies rarely hear of. Cecily laughed, she almost cried, and Oscar found himself joining her. Even Mrs Andrews was minding her own business for once.

Before he knew it, the evening was at an end, and he was feeling rather tired.

"I have had a very enjoyable evening, Miss Andrews, but it is time to say goodnight, I think."

Cecily pouted at his words, but it was getting very late.

"I enjoy a brisk ride at dawn and will need my beauty sleep if I am to keep to the saddle and not end up in the dirt."

Cecily nodded and smiled as he kissed her hand goodnight. As he left the room, he noticed Emily had already gone. He had been so caught up in making her jealous; he got carried away with his storytelling and then had forgotten all about her and Westwood.

Perhaps that wasn't such a bad thing.

"What was that?" A voice behind Oscar said as he approached his bedchamber.

"Excuse me?"

Henry stood looking at him with arms crossed.

"Do not act all innocent. I know exactly what you were doing in there tonight, and mark my words, Oscar Trentham, it is going to come back and haunt you."

"Everything will be fine Henry, it was just a few stories. It was not as though I was flirting with her all night."

"And are you sure that is how Miss Andrews sees it?" Henry asked.

"Of course, tomorrow I will be my indifferent self again and all will be well."

Henry shook his head at his delusional cousin.

"And what of Emily? She did not deserve to have that thrown in her face."

"She has Westwood. I am sure she barely noticed us," Oscar said defensively.

"Everyone noticed you this evening!"

"Why should she even care?" Oscar asked, getting rather annoyed with his cousin.

"I wonder?" Henry grabbed his chin in mock thought. "Ah, her cousin who treats her abominably, receiving undivided attention from the man who she has been in love with since she was thirteen years old. No, why should she care?" Sarcasm dripped from his last words.

"Don't be ridiculous. That was just a childhood infatuation. She has made it quite clear she has moved on."

"You really are a bloody fool sometimes, Oscar," Henry replied and walked away.

Oscar, still on a high from his evening of laughter and whisky, refused to believe anything would be different tomorrow.

No, he would still be harassed by Cecily and her mother, still ignored by Emily, and still want to beat Westwood within an inch of his life. All would be as it should.