Chapter Two

Aunt Florence wrapped her arm through Emily’s and led her through the enormous front doors. As Emily looked about the main hall, memories came flooding back.

Sneaking down the curved staircase that hugged one side of the large foyer. Shuffling sideways, with her back pressed firmly to the wall, stopping intermittently at each ornately carved cupid statuette, then hiding behind the crimson draperies that framed large paintings of the breathtaking landscapes, to spy on Henry and Oscar. She would wait for them to leave the house so she could happen upon them in the stables and beg them to take her riding. What a silly child she had been.

But the hardest memory was the last, when she and her parents had said their goodbyes at the foot of that grand staircase almost eight years ago, intending to return in a few short months for Christmastide.

“Oh my, isn’t this just delightful,” Aunty Prue squealed loudly. Bringing Emily back to the present.

Cecily grinned and nodded as she stood with Oscar, their arms intertwined. Emily felt a pang of jealousy as he smiled down at Cecily.

“I’m glad you approve,” said Aunt Florence. “And I’m delighted to have you all here. We will have such a grand time. Which reminds me, are we to expect, Mr Andrews?”

Emily stiffened at the mention of his name and prayed Aunt Florence hadn’t noticed. She dreaded the thought of having to discuss Uncle Joseph.

“Oh yes, silly me. He has decided at the last minute not to come—infuriating man. His business will not allow him time away.”

“That is a shame. I did not realise he has business interests. May I inquire what kind?” asked Aunt Florence.

“Oh, a bit of this, a bit of that. I hardly know.” Aunty Prue waved her hand dismissively as she ogled the beautiful landscapes on the walls.

Aunt Florence frowned, but did not press any further. Emily was also unaware of what kind of business her uncle was involved in and frankly, she did not care. The only thing she was glad of was that he and his horse whip were very far away.

“Come, let us retire to the drawing room for some tea. You all must be famished after such a long journey.”

Aunt Florence led the way to a bright sunlit room. The large windows offered a beautiful outlook of the south lawn and down towards a large fountain surrounded by delicately manicured shrubberies—Beautifully curved and plump—they reminded her of the large wigs some of the more mature ladies of the ton wore.

The room was just as Emily had remembered; It had been her favourite. She had taken tea like a proper lady with her mama and aunt. They taught her how to pour, as well as good conversation topics and those that should be avoided.

Yes, she had been fond of archery lessons, riding her horse and going for adventurous walks with her complaining governess. But in the drawing room she had felt so grown up, more important somehow. Rather than just some silly girl who got in everyone’s way.

It all seemed a lifetime ago. How she wished she could go back to being that age. A time when she was Innocent, happy... loved.

“Emily, don’t slouch. Lady Lockhart will think us lacking in providing you a proper education,” Aunty Prue hissed.

It was meant for her ears only, but Aunty Prue was not one for being quiet. She would often squawk about the house like a rankled cat. It was something Emily never quite got used to. So unlike her own mama, who was quiet and observant. Someone who listened rather than prattled on.

She sat up straight to the point of it being almost painful. But her discomfort was much easier to bear than Aunty Prue’s ire. A lesson she had learned the hard way.