Chapter Ten

How interesting that she had not considered it sooner. Perhaps the answer to all her problems lay at the feet of a rather handsome Duke. Surely Emily had not imagined his flirtatious behaviour.

She leaned forward to pick a white daisy that grew in a large bush next to the garden bench where she sat alone.

The way he had kissed her hand had sent gooseflesh about her entire body. The way he had looked at her so sincerely when he too admitted to knowing the pain of love lost. She picked at the white petals as her skin flushed red.

The fleeting moment with Oscar in the library felt more like a dream as each new day passed until she was unsure if it had been real at all. But he was not hers and even though an infatuation like hers did not disappear overnight. If he were to marry Cecily, perhaps the blow to her heart would be lessened if she pursued a match of her own.

The Duke had an estate he used as his primary residence, far from the Andrews’ and Oscar’s estates. She could be free of her horrible family, and only be subjected to Oscar and Cecily’s company on rare occasions.

Nathaniel Westwood was also very handsome and kind. She could do much worse—the old curate came to mind and made her shudder in distaste. Emily was uncertain if her aunt had been serious about her marrying Mr Jones, but she preferred not to take that chance.

The situation—she was realising—had presented itself perfectly. At her home, she never would have been introduced to so many fine gentlemen, but here, now, the possibilities were endless and she would be a simpleton not to take advantage.

The more time she spent in Lord Westwood’s company away from Oscar, the more her aunt had left her alone. She was feeling a certain amount of freedom she had not felt since losing her parents. Freedom that gave her a small amount of hope and courage.

She threw the dismembered flower to the ground and searched for another to disfigure.

“What did those poor daisies do to deserve your ire, cousin?”

Emily looked up into a pair of kind blue eyes, very similar to her own.

“Henry, I am so sorry. I should not be destroying your poor Mama’s garden like this.” Emily quickly withdrew her hand from the daisy plant and placed it with the other on her lap.

“Nonsense, cousin. I was only teasing. Pick as many flowers as you wish. They will all die eventually, in any case.”

Emily smiled up at Henry. “It is a shame they do not last forever, but I think in their absence, it makes one appreciate them that much more.”

“Touche, dear cousin, Touche.”

Henry sat down next to Emily and picked his own flower to de-petal.

“How have you been enjoying your time back at Lilywood?” Henry asked as they both twisted stems between their fingers.

“Very much, thank you. I had forgotten how beautiful Lilywood is and I did not realise how enjoyable being out in society would be. If I could dance every night, I surely would.”

Emily looked up at Henry to see him frowning.

“Are you well, Henry?”

“Has your life been very unpleasant with your aunt and uncle?” He asked, still looking uneasy.

Emily straightened up and picked another flower. “I would be lying if I said they treat me like a part of their family. I am someone to be put up with for a monthly allowance. But I am here, I am healthy and I am finding happiness again.”

Henry took her hand in his and squeezed it. They both smiled sadly at one another. “I am so very sorry we could not have done more. I know mother and father tried to get them to release you to live with us, but they refused.”