Chapter 35: Sports Day

Start from the beginning

"You miss them don't you?" Haibara approached me. "Your parents."

"You could tell?" I turned to her. "Everyone's family will be there for Sports Day, b-but..." my voice wavered.

"We're in the same boat." she sipped a hot drink. "I've gotten used to the loneliness. It's not so bad having the detective boys around."

"Thanks...Shiho." I hugged her. It was one of the rare instances she didn't protest about me calling her by her real name...

**************

(day of the event)

I sat on a bench with Masumi, watching our classmates interact with their families before the event started

"So..." Masumi asked. "Are you ready for the relay race?"

"I hope so... it's my first time participating in this type of events." I said.

"I've been in a few... they were quite fun." Masumi reminisced. "Look, the detective boys are cheering you on." she nodded in their direction. I stifled a laugh at them pestering Agasa who was holding a tripod. Conan and Haibara wore exhausted looks.

"Even so... but it's not as fun as I imagined right now though..." I sighed.

"We can't have that, can we?" A voice said.

"S-Subaru-san?" I turned around in surprise. "You made it! How did you know about the event?"

"Agasa happened to show me a flier since Teitan Elementary also had a similar event, so I decided to drop by..." he explained.

"It means a lot to me." I wore a grateful look. His expression turned to one of surprise as I gave him a hug. "Masumi and I are doing a relay race today!" I said with a grin.

"I'll be sure to capture all of that." Subaru pulled out a camera.

"Alright Masumi, let's do this!" I grabbed her arm, running towards to the field.

***************

First up were the solo races where students drew a random slip of paper with a description, and ask a person to run with them.

"Someone who cares about me..." Masumi muttered looking at her paper.

"Kaiya, would you run this race with me?" Masumi asked.

"Hmm... I have someone better in mind." I grinned, calling Subaru over.

He wore a surprised look as Masumi eagerly dragged him to the race.

"I wonder what that paper said." Conan asked.

I showed him the piece of paper Masumi had.

"I see." Conan smiled.

***************

Soon it was time for my relay race.

"I can't believe we're in the same relay race." a voice said as I finished tying my shoelaces.