Chapter 9: The Mysterious Packages

Kiyomi POV

"Jodie-sensei! There's a sudden surge of patients in the hospital lobby! The Organization is most likely behind this." I radioed Jodie since I was on lookout inside the hospital. Conan and the other FBI agents came to investigate as well when they heard the commotion.

"Excuse me sir," I struggled through the crowd and stopped a delivery man. "But who sent those packages?"

"Ah is from Rikumichi Kusuda." he replied.

"He's uh.. an acquaintance of mine! I can bring it to him." I took the package and ripped it open. Just as I thought. These were the bombs...

I helped the FBI collect the suspicious packages from various patients. One agent taught me how to disarm the bombs by pulling a specific wire. I noticed something unusual in the bombs when Rena Mizunashi began to appear on the hospital screens, saying that she has recovered. As a result, the agents around me began to flee to Rena's room to check on her condition. "Wait, stay away from the room! That's what the Organization wants!" I chased after them. If I remember correctly from the anime, this was part of the organization's plan.

"She's right. We've been played." Shuichi walked towards us.

"We've been played?" Jodie asked.

"That clip you saw on TV earlier was taken from an interview she gave following an explosion in which she was injured. They altered the background and clothes. I saw the original video of it at the house of her biggest fan. There's no doubt." Conan told everyone.

"But, what was the point of airing that video?" Jodie questioned.

"To make you FBI agents come here." Conan explained.

"I'm asking why they would bring us here." Jodie bent down to Conan's level.

"Where are the toys that were scattered everywhere? You were just looking for them weren't you?" Shuichi asked.

"If you mean the bombs, I put the defused ones in my pocket since I had to get to another room right away." Jodie took out a bomb. "Don't tell me, inside... " her eyes widened.

"Yeah there's a troublesome gift." Conan said. I took out the disabled transmitter from a defused bomb I was holding to show them an example.

****************

"What now?" an agent asked.

James sighed. "It's time to go to the last resort I spoke of this morning. We'll separate into three cars and escape the hospital in the confusion. Whichever agent is the bait will draw them as far away as possible. As for who will ride in each car, talk to Jodie-kun."

"James-san," I spoke up. "why don't we put her in a Beetle that a family friend of ours drives?"

"We can lay her down the back seat. Those bad guys probably think you'll carry her in a bigger vehicle on a stretcher. They would never guess this." Conan continued.

"That's probably true..." Jodie mused.

"Then, I'll give him a call. He'll probably come soon." Conan started to dial Professor Agasa on his phone. Shuichi quickly grabbed the phone with his right hand. All according to plan...

"Akai-san?" I acted confused. Conan also played along and had a confused expression.

"No matter how smart you are, this isn't an option. This is a job for the FBI. We can't let normal citizens get involved any further, can we?" Shuichi closed the phone and handed it back to Conan.

"But.." Conan stuttered.

"Leave the rest to us." Shuichi said with an air of finality.

"Alright let's destroy the transmitters in the bombs we already have." James ordered.

"No. Do so only after you've heard me out. After hearing what this boy said, it hit me. A clever scheme that will allow us to escape with Rena Mizunashi and blind them." Shuichi interjected.

***********

I helped the FBI prepare to move Rena. They followed the plan previously mentioned by Shuichi and Conan and headed out.

It was then I saw Jodie passed out on the floor in the parking lot. "Jodie-sensei. Are you alright?" I shook her awake. Camel must have knocked her out.

"The car... Agent Camel!" she jolted awake. "Kaiya-chan we have to go to James, follow me!" We went to the FBI meeting room. I saw agents panicking because Shuichi and Conan had returned Rena to the organization. As Shuichi began to explain his reasoning, I helped bandage Agent Camel's wounds on his face.

*********

"I see, that's why you deliberately handed Rena Mizunashi to the organization. You're having her act as a spy in their midst just as you did before." James summarized.

"But as a CIA operative." Shuichi clarified.

"Then, the sound of her knocking you out before she got away was also camouflage?" James asked Camel.

"Akai-san had me pretend to be knocked out, lose consciousness, and then stop the car. But, I didn't expect to actually get hit." Camel touched his bandages.

"I told her to do that as well. If by any chance you had been killed then, and there was no sign of a wound on your face, Mizunashi Rena would have been in danger." Shuichi justified. Sorry Camel...

"R-right." Camel realized.

"But wait you could have at least told us about it." Jodie retorted.

"Yeah I agree." James seconded. "When she escaped we were all really shocked and depressed."

"That was our intention. They were very likely keeping tabs on we FBI's wireless communications. If she had been retrieved and no one sounded disappointed, would they be really convinced? Acting wouldn't do it. It had to be for real." Shuichi revealed.

"Even so, she's just gone back to them for her CIA job." Jodie pointed out.

"We didn't just send her back. She agreed to pass along information on those guys to us after reporting to the CIA." Shuichi explained. He recalled how Mizunashi Rena proposed a condition on her own to put Eisuke in the Witness Program. She would also make sure the Organization left the hospital alone.