chapter one

The world has begun to decay and is practically at its end. The buildings stand like charred logs, some of them leaning precariously. The pavement below is cracked and slowly crumbling. Ash still drifts through those streets as the Lamps flicker. The sun never shines down onto the earth and all the Ash and smoke has covered the sky, making the whole world look hazy. Fires are still spreading through the streets and Utility poles have fallen,  the wires of electricity have split. Bridges have broken and cars have been torn. There is no green on the trees and there is no grass or plants in sight. The thick mist covers the blackened earth and the burnt cities with it.

Zombies stalk the streets, looking for their prey. It has been a year since the apocalypse started.Over time, bodies began to pile up, organs and limbs cover the paths of the town along with pools of blood. The lifeless bodies lay cold on the ground, yellow puss leaking out of their eyes and mouths. Lungs and intestines have been scattered around the towns. The walking corpses are pale and their eyes are red; their mouths also leaking with the yellow puss. The bones are sticking out of their bodies and the blood is visible beneath their clothes.

I'm now living in a rundown shopping mall. The floor tiles are cracked and have dried blood stains covering them. The windows are smashed and the walls are covered in a dark, thick gray instead of its original snow white due to the fires that had spread at the beginning of the apocalypse. The disassembled bodies of the people who used to work here can be found scattered around the premises along with ripped organs and blood stains on their uniform. Many of the dead workers still had their keys resting in their pockets. When I reached out and touched their bodies, they were cold and stiff. I grabbed the keys from their pockets and found a key that opens a door to a small security room that had multiple tv screens along the walls that showed me the live feed from every security camera in and out of the building. There was a long metal desk that went around three walls of the room with a swivel chair that had been knocked down in front of the long desk.

I left the room and entered a grocery store nearby, grabbing a shopping cart and gathering food, water and other supplies I will need. The halls were silent and the stores were empty. The shelves were practically empty but I managed to grab a few things from each aisle and from the storage closet in the back by using the keys I had found. The floors were covered with dirt and some shelves had been broken. Two bodies were in the store, pools of blood surrounding them. There were three boxes of fifteen water bottles that I had grabbed and placed into my cart along with the food I had gotten. Once I had left the grocery store, I walked into a furniture store and grabbed an inflatable mattress with a pump for it along with blankets and pillows. Another section of the store had flashlights, notepads, pens, batteries and all that stuff. I took a few of each item. The white sheets had dried blood stains from where people had either been killed or turned into zombies. I reached my hand down to the bottom of the piles and grabbed the clean sheets.

I slowly made my way back to the small room and locked myself inside with my cart of supplies. I placed an inflatable mattress on the floor to one side of the room, a quarter of the side under the long desk and threw five pillows, two blankets and a weighted shark plushie onto it. I placed a flashlight, four notebooks, seven pens, twelve packs of batteries, a laptop and a portable charger onto the middle of the desk. All of my food was placed in a big box that stayed under the desk along with another box that held my water. The room already had an electric fireplace for when it gets cold and I had placed some wrist warmers in a drawer that was beneath the desk.

It's been five months since I started living here, there have been multiple incidents that have happened involving the zombies, but I have multiple weapons to protect myself with which I had stolen from my father as he used to work in the military and kept his guns with him. I have an A4a1 gun, 13 boxes of 30 bullets, a revolver and a pocket knife along with a box of grenades if needed. I keep all of my weapons inside my father's backpack along with some spare flashlights and a med kit.