Part 76 - The Beauty of Their Dreams

Start from the beginning

Manik was sitting with Nandini on his lap in one of the corners of the store room. Both of them had their arms wrapped around each other and continued to cry their eyes out, while holding onto each other tightly.

As time continued to pass by, Manik kept drowning in his guilt with each second. How did he always end up making her cry? No matter what he did, good or bad, it all ended with Nandini crying. Why was he such a loser? Why couldn't he ever make her smile? Why didn't he have the ability in him to make her happy?

Manik - Sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry for making you cry. I'm so sorry for dragging you into my mess. How I wish I could keep every promise I made to you. How I wish I could keep you with me all my life and never let you go. But I can't be so selfish in love, can I? I am not worthy of your love. Bachpan se lekar aaj tak, I have never been worthy of anyone's love and I don't know how I forgot about it when I was falling in love with you. I thought I had a chance at happiness too when you came into my life. But main bhool gaya that my fucked up family and my past will never me alone. Maybe I should've never met you. Tum apni life mein khush rehti and could've been saved from all the pain I have caused you.

Nandini got so angry with what he said that and pulled his blazer lapels once more making him face her.

Nandini - DON'T YOU DARE! Don't you dare regret our relationship EVER. Just because our relationship was short-lived, doesn't mean it wasn't beautiful. Do you understand? NEVER do that again!

Manik rested his forehead on hers and slightly nodded and whispered.

Manik - Never. I promise. Never.

Nandini - I'm letting go of us because I want you to focus on yourself. I want you to work on yourself without feeling the guilt of being responsible for my life. But Manik Malhotra, listen to me loud and clear. This breakup does not mean you're allowed to go into self-pity and depression. You have to work on yourself. You have to focus on being better. You have to heal yourself.

Manik looked at her surprised. This beautiful beautiful woman was ready to give up on him and break herself, in order to fix him. How on earth did he get so lucky?

Nandini - I need an answer Manik. You are not allowed to become a Kabir Singh and self-destruct your life. If we are giving up on us, it has to be worth it.

Manik simply nodded but he didn't know if he would be able to do it at all. Because right now, all he wanted to do was become numb to all the pain. And he would take help from anything that would take his pain away.

Nandini - Nope. I know this expression. I need you to promise me that you will not run away from this. You're not allowed to drink, smoke or do anything else that will help you deal with this. Instead, you're finding a good therapist and starting to take steps to heal yourself. You're going to throw yourself into your work and make a career for yourself. And the only thing you can use for your escape is to play music. Do you get me?

Manik just nodded once again.

Nandini - Say it out loud. Promise me.

Manik didn't want to promise her this. He didn't know if he could keep this promise.

Nandini - I'm giving you an out from all your promises. But you have to keep this one.

Manik – How I wish I could keep every promise that I made to you. How I wish we could have the happily ever after that we dreamt of. How I wish we could make our dreams into reality. How I wish...

Nandini - I know you wish that. But life is a bitch, isn't it?

Manik - A big horrible bitch.

Nandini - Exactly. But what's in our hands is how to make it better. So we have to choose to make it better. And who knows if you actually end up healing and life throws one more chance for us again?