00. The Stereotypes Project

(edited)

It was in the middle of senior year when I realized my life was deep down in the dumpster. Way, way down. Where all the spoiled food and used stuff are. Actually, it probably was where your old beanie babies that you threw out in third grade because you were scared the other kids would laugh at you were. Yes, I was buried that deep in this gigantic dumpster we all called 'life'.

What do you mean I'm exaggerating?

Okay, fine. But only a teeny weeny bit.

What do you mean I'm a filthy liar?

Fine, fine, you got me there. I'm a filthy liar and totally blowing things out of proportion. You happy now? But there's more to the story than that.

The truth is, my life ain't half that bad. I have a roof over my head, a happy family, average grades, and as far as I know, no life threatening disease. And of course, some loving friends: my cat, my laptop, my bed, and... Okay, I admit it, the number of friends that I have is a big fat zero. But Elijah Johnson smiled at me in the hallway once. That means he's my friend, right? Right?

But, that's kinda the whole point. I'm normal. Average. As predictable as the main character in the cheesiest, cliché-est chick flick you have ever watched. Someone you would immediately forget. Not a geeky bookworm, not a dark goth, not an eccentric hipster, not even a blonde barbie. I'm one of those people with faces that will easily blend in with the crowd, and not one personality trait that people will find even remotely weird or interesting.

Yep, you got the memo. I'm B-O-R-I-N-G. And unless I want to be remembered as that kid in the background, or even worse, not even remembered at all, I have to do something fast. Some drastic changes would work.

Well, world, I hereby declare that Charlie McCarthy will be boring for no longer. She is now going to be the brightest, most memorable person you will ever meet. She will be a legend, the stuff of tales, the subject of admiration for years to come. (And also she will stop referring to herself in third person.)

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

The Stereotypes Project.

-

So, what is the Stereotypes Project you might ask?

The answer is simple, my young grasshopper. After living for years in the background, this brilliant mind of mine had thought of the idea of the lifetime for me to finally get noticed. Of course, it is not something a beginner like you could do, but requires the great skills of a wise master who had trained for years and years for this moment, for it is a sophisticated and complex project. There are only two outcomes: so much popularity that people will actually kiss the ground I walk, or total social suicide. Sounds scary, right? Don't try this at home, kids.

With only months away from graduation and senior Prom, I, Charlie, had decided to end this year with a bang (actually, a BANG! would be more precise, for this is such a fabulous idea). And because of that, there is no room for failure. I could not be another Charlie of the world. I have to be THE Charlie instead. The statics had shown that I have a 17.23457678% of success, but I have to try, don't I? And even though that number is totally made up and the chances of me succeeding is as low as the possibility of Nickelodeon airing another season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you know what they say: "Two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity." Oops, wrong quote. I mean: "You never know unless you try!"

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I should probably explain to you what the Stereotypes Project is first, which I should have done like 5 minutes ago. Oops. So, after years of observing the lesser average kids at my school in a not-that-stalkerish manner, I have come to the conclusion: to be noticed, you have to pop out, or in other words, have a distinct style. Or, in even other other words, fit into a different group of stereotypes.

You see, you can always turn a few heads when you are a walking example of a stereotype. Now, my padawan, you're probably thinking: "Oh my gosh, who even use stereotypes anymore? That is like automatically assuming a group of different individual!1!1! LET US BE OURSELVES!!!" But then, if you actually notice, stereotypes actually catch other people's attention, not make you fade in the back of the group. For example, you would stand out if you are into dark metal instead of bubblegum pop and wear black all the time, if you have glasses and don't use Wikipedia for homework, and if you have long blonde hair and are the captain of the Varsity Cheerleading team. You see what I mean? By fitting into a certain stereotype, you automatically make yourself eye-catching and extraordinary.

Now, you're probably getting to my point. I should fit into a stereotype in order to become noticeable, right? Of course, that also works, but where the heck is the fun in that? I can just play dress up for a few months and it would all be finished. But then, only a small group of people is gonna know who I am, and I need more than that.

Stereotypes. Why be one when I can be all of them?

Yep. I, Charlie McCarthy, am going to be all the stereotypes in high school. Every month, I'm going to be a different person, get in the lifestyle of each typical stereotypes there are, get to know all the people, experience all the fun stuff I have missed out on in years of being invisible. It's going to be legend-waitforit-ary. Legendary.

THE STEREOTYPES PROJECT

by Charlie McCarthy

Month 1: Dark goth/ Emo

Achievement list:

Go to at least one rock concert.

Finish a book of poetry.

Dye my hair a crazy color.

Watch at least three scary movies.

Month 2: Hipster month.

Achievement list:

Discover an indie band.

Score a cool item from the thrift shop.

Learn a weird instrument.

Go to an art gallery.

Month 3: Nerd month.

Achievement list:

Read 10 books.

Pass the boss level in a video game.

Cosplay as a sci-fi movie character.

Go to a comic book conference.

Month 4 (Final month!): Popular month.

Buy a designer's dress/ makeup item

Join the cheerleading team.

Ask a guy out.

WIN PROM QUEEN.

Heheheheh I finally got around to editing the first chapter :)) Still so many chapters to fix but this is a start. I also made a gif banner yay <3