Part 8

"This baby girl is lost," said the man behind me, making the hair on my neck stand. I shuddered, taking a step as if that could save me from these men's leering eyes.  

"Kruger!" Jake's voice bellowed. 

I gasped as I looked at the man, Kruger, taking a hesitant step back, recognizing the danger in Jake's voice. That makes us two. I thought. I turned to face Jake, and the fury in his eyes was unmistakable. Jaw clenched, muscles taut, Jake advanced towards me, pushing through the crowd like a predator closing in on its prey.

"Touch her and you won't see the sun for days." Jake snarled, his voice low and threatening.

Kruger stammered, "I-I didn't know, Crusher. She just came—"

"I don't give a damn! You stay away from her," Jake roared, his anger pulsating through the air.

I stood frozen, caught between Jake's fury and the uneasy glances of onlookers. The crowd hushed and Jake gave me a look that made me wish I hadn't come here. 

His anger wasn't just directed at Kruger; it was aimed at me. But a blaze of possessiveness and jealousy in his eyes made me somewhat confident he wouldn't hurt me. But will Jake hurt me? Physically? 

Without a word, he grabbed my arm and furiously led me away from the prying eyes of the crowd, steering us towards a more secluded area of the club. The deafening noise receding. 

"What the hell were you thinking, coming here?" Jake's voice was low, but the anger resonated in every word. His grip on my arm was firm, almost painful.

"I-I didn't know it would be like this," I stammered, trying to free my arm from his grasp.

Jake's eyes darkened with irritation. "You think you can just waltz in here and everything will be fine? This isn't a game, Cassandra."

His words made me shudder and I felt the fear and something else that I couldn't quite define. "I just wanted to understand, Jake. I didn't expect—"

"Understand?" He cut me off, his grip tightening. "You don't understand anything. This is not a place for someone like you." His eyes blazed with anger.

 I tried to shake off his hold, frustration welling up within me.

 "Mason, isn't it? Mason brought you here. I know he will. Dammit!"

"Let go, Jake! You're hurting me," I snapped. 

His jaw clenched, but he released his grip. "You shouldn't have come here."

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have been a burden to your friend," I retorted, my anger matching his. "Or have been honest with who you really are."

His eyes narrowed. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh, I have every idea. Underground fights? Release through fighting? What else are you hiding, Jake?"

He took a step closer, his gaze piercing. Despite the bruises and red marks on his body and face, he still looked freaking gorgeous. "Demanding for answers like you can handle the truth. This isn't some fairy tale, Cassandra. You should leave."

"I'm not a child, Jake. I can handle the truth," I shot back. My hands are itching to touch his bruises and wipe his sweat. My frustration seemed to dissipate at a closer look at his state. He had so many bruises. 

He laughed, almost hysterically. "Handle the truth?" he took a step back and turned away. "You would run for the hills."

Biting on my lower lip, I followed him to the room, but before I could step inside, he slammed the door into my face. I stepped back with a startled gasp. Of course, he wouldn't let himself be alone with me again in one room.