A Bitter Reminder

Sakura carefully tugged on the dress, squeezing into it as she glanced at her reflection in the mirror. The dress was significantly shorter than what she was used to, but she had to admit, it accentuated her curves in all the right places. For once, she decided to let her long pink hair cascade down, and carefully curled it. Sakura wasn't one to cake on layers of makeup, preferring a more natural look that enhanced her beauty rather than transforming it completely.

The dark red velvet dress she wore had a sultry wrap-around silhouette, with a daring high-cut slit that showed just enough leg to make a statement. The low-cut bust added a hint of allure, though Sakura made sure it didn't cross into the realm of being too revealing. To complete her ensemble, she opted for a pair of white ankle lace-up stilettos that added a touch, and she chose a sleek black clutch bag to finish the outfit. It had been ages since she dressed up this fancy, but she had promised Hinata she would make an appearance. Plus, there was a small part of Sakura that wanted to keep an eye on Sasuke, just to ensure he was fitting in and adjusting well to the gathering.

With a sigh, Sakura mentally prepared herself as she opened the door to her bedroom, only to discover that Sasuke was stepping out of his own room too. Their eyes met, and Sasuke's widened as his gaze unintentionally traveled up and down her figure, leaving Sakura feeling a mix of discomfort and a slight flutter in her heart. She cleared her throat, trying to conceal her blush that was now evident, and asked, "Are you ready?"

Coming back to reality, Sasuke nodded in response. Side by side, they made their way down to the parking lot. "Can I drive?" he asked, seeking her permission.

Sakura nodded, her voice laced with a hint of playfulness. "I did say you could, didn't I? Go for it."

Once they were both inside the car, Sakura stole a quick glance at Sasuke, taking in his attire. He wore a simple black suit that she remembered picking out for him, causing her heart to sink into her stomach. She shouldn't be feeling this way. She had to remind herself not to let her emotions get the best of her. Falling in love with Sasuke was off-limits.

"You're getting pretty good at driving," Sakura remarked, deliberately averting her gaze and staring out the window. She wanted to avoid any intense eye contact, yet she also didn't want any obvious tension between them.

"Am I? Well, I did have the best teacher," Sasuke chuckled, his attention focused on the road as he continued to drive.

Sakura couldn't help but let her guard down, her voice cracking slightly as she asked, "Do you think Karin might be your chance to go back?" She didn't realize it at first, but her own admission slipped through her words. She was slowly acknowledging her growing feelings for him. Perhaps it would be for the best if he left sooner rather than later, giving her the opportunity to move on.

"I think and hope so. I'll find out tonight," Sasuke replied, pulling up in front of the venue. Before getting out, Sakura pulled out her phone before they stepped out of the car, interrupting their stride. "Wait, we should take a picture," she suggested with a grin.

Leaning against Sasuke, Sakura extended her arm and expertly captured a series of photos. They made silly faces, sticking out their tongues or giving exaggerated smiles. They also took a few more composed pictures, leaning closer together and looking into the camera.

They laughed and Sasuke walked to Sakura's side and opened the door for her. They handed the keys to the valet driver and entered the venue together.

...

"I told you that dress looks amazing on you. You're stunning tonight, Sakura," Hinata said, giving Sakura a tight hug. Hinata sensed that something was bothering her friend, but decided not to pry. There seemed to be a deeper issue at play, and Hinata didn't want to overstep.