chapter seventeen.

Start from the beginning

"I dooo," Mieke drew out playfully. "This is all just new information to me because I don't really delve into the details of cars. If it's cute, I'm just gonna get it. But you're making me actually want to learn more about cars now."

"You tryna be like me, You gone start a collection next?" Keanu asked.

"No. I just wanna get to the point where I enjoy going to car shows." Mieke answered.

"Deadass?" Keanu asked and Mieke nodded. "They got one Saturday. We could go."

"Really?" Mieke asked and Keanu nodded. "I want to, but then everyone's going to see us. It's so weird to me. We used to go places freely, and now we can't because people will post something like 'Baewatch Keanu Jacobs and his new boo.' What happened to just hanging out as friends?"

"You ain't wrong. That's one thing I grew to hate bout being well known. Motherfuckers always in your business, speculating and assuming shit bout you and most of the time, they have no idea what the fuck they talking about."

"I hate that," Mieke said, shaking her head. "It's like, can't two people just hang out without people making assumptions about it? Like celebrities can't have friends? But that's the thing with being a celebrity, I guess. You get all the glory, but you also have to deal with the downside. That's why I can't be famous."

"I feel you. It's times when I wish I wasn't well known. I miss when not hella people knew me and shit but at the same time, I can't help but love this shit. It's a weird contradiction, but that's just what it is. This shit not for everybody and for the people it's for, You gotta be ready for it."

"Unt Unt that's too much."

Keanu chuckled. "You still wanna go? I could just tell them we're friends asum."

Mieke furrowed her brow as she glanced ahead at the road, deep in thought.

As much as she wanted to go, she couldn't shake the feeling of nerves and uncertainty. Being seen with him in public was a whole new level of exposure, And she didn't want to be the subject of gossip or have people making assumptions about their relationship. She was still trying to figure out where things were going with him, and the last thing she needed was for people to make up rumors and complicate things even more.

But at the same time, she knew how important it was to not let her own fears and insecurities get in the way of enjoying life and pursuing the things she wanted. She had already done enough of that in the past, and she didn't want to miss out on something that could be fun and exciting just because of her own nerves.

She was also tired of spending all of their time in his car and craved some excitement.

"Yeah, we could go." Mieke said, and a smile lit up Keanu's face. "What time?"

"11."

"Auntie usually be sleep around that time but I'll stay awake just for this car show."

"You really staying awake for me."

Mieke smiled at Keanu as he spoke, "I guess I'm staying awake for you too. Only because you're the one that knows where the show is, I don't know nothing boo."

"Ima let you go with that, I know the real." Keanu said, and Mieke gave him a playful side-eye. "Whatchu ate today?"

"Ate some Dunkin Donuts for breakfast."