Part 1

A/N: Well, though I haven't figured out a title for this one so far, I still want to publish some of it already too. Enjoy!

Marinette inhaled deeply, then straightened her blazer, to walk with firm, steady steps the remaining distance from the metro station to the big iron gate that parted the premises surrounding the Agreste mansion from the Parisian streets.

Simply standing here, looking at the huge building that had always intimidated her, made the young woman feel pathetic. But after all that had happened in the past, this was her last chance, the only opportunity she had left.

Taking another deep breath, she rang the doorbell, then took a step back to not be almost hit by the surveillance camera coming out of the large stone wall.

"Who is there and what can I do... Marinette!"

Nathalie Sancoeur sounded shocked and for good reason. Before the half Chinese was able to say anything, the gate swung open and the assistant's voice said calmly.

"Just come inside, please!"

Sighing in relief, Marinette reluctantly walked towards the marble stairs and the mahogany entrance door.When she got there, the dark haired assistant of Gabriel Agreste already waited for her and led her inside.The little girl, maybe five years of age, who clung to her hand, looked around with wide eyes.

Nathalie, who eyed the bright blond child suspiciously, gave her a firm hug before she asked her.

"Other than saying hello to an old friend, what brings you here, Marinette?" She then turned to the infant, questioning softly, "And who might you be?"

The girl looked up to her mother who gave her an encouraging smile and a nod, then held out her small hand for her to grasp.

"I am Emma. And who are you!" She said loud and clear, trying to not sound scared.

The tall woman crouched down on one knee to be on the same level and told her with an inviting smile.

"Hi Emma. I am Nathalie. Would you like to go into the kitchen with me and have a glass of chocolate milk?"

Before the little girl could respond, Marinette cleared her throat and made Nathalie look at her.

"I need to speak to Gabriel, Nathalie. It's urgent. You know, I would have never come here, if I wasn't desperate. Well," she looked at her daughter with a sad but loving smile, then went on, "I most certainly am!"

Nathalie sighed.

"He hasn't really been in his clear mind lately."

Marinette chuckled bitterly.

"Has he ever?"

This was supposed to be a rhetorical question, but the assistant answered anyway.

"Now that I think about it..."

"He's in his office. I'll get some coffee for you and me and some cocoa for Emma, and join you in a few, Emma, would you like to come with me? So your mum?" Seeing Marinette tilt her head to the question, she continued, "so your mum can speak to the grumpy old man on her own at first?"

Hearing that Emma quickly agreed and grabbed the hand, Nathalie held out to her.

"But..." Marinette began.

"It's okay, Marinette, I've taken care of Adrien for more than ten years, I think I can handle a pretty girl like Emma for a couple of minutes!"

"Thank you!" The young mother mouthed and reluctantly approached the door to Gabriel Agreste's office. Knowing he wouldn't answer anyway, she entered without knocking, seeing him in his usual position, on a step in front of his tablet. Yet instead of standing upright and stoically, he was hunched over and looked as if he had aged a decade since she had last seen him.