Ch 22: I'll Have an "I Love You" With "Injuries" on the Side, Thank You

Start from the beginning

 "I thought you weren't going to come," he said, his eyebrow slanted.

 "I don't ever go back on my word."

 "Well then, I'm glad you're here. I need to tell you something," he said, leaning against the fence, his fingers gesturing I come closer. I did as what was implied. He then lightly whispered in my ear,

 "I think I love you." He then gave a quick kiss on my ear, knowing my lips were off limits and ran to the other guys where he drilled with them. I slowly took off my aviators, feeling extremely weird.

 "I know I just missed something grand, by the look on your face," Eli said, coming up from behind with a tub of popcorn and two bottles of Pepsi.

 "Eli, I think I need to go to the doctor. My chest is twitching like crazy." I held my head in my head, spazzing.

 "I think you're trying to say your heart is beating fast, in the most unromantic way possible."

 "I was afraid you'd translate."

 "What did he do? Better yet, what did he say?" I took a seat, trying to balance myself. Eliyza followed, rubbing my back gently.

 "He said he thinks he loves me. I know that shouldn't be a big deal, but I have no idea why it feels like it." I think she was feeling more than me. Eliyza gave me an embrace.

 "You two are too beautiful for words." I secretly smiled, admiring my friend's innocence and love for fantasy romances. "Do you love him?" I knew it wouldn't be wise to put up the dumb act, but I honestly had no idea. I pulled away, gradually loosening from her grip.

 "How do you know?"

"I'm still wondering how you're an eighteen year old girl. Alright, does he make your heart flutter?"

 "Yes."

 "Do you occasionally get nervous when you talk to him?"

 "Kinda."

 "Does the same apply when you kiss him?"

 "Yes."

 "Can you imagine being with anyone else?"

"No."

 "Do you always want to be with him?"

 "Most of the time."

 "And finally, the question we're all waiting for. Are you scared to say you love him back?" I allowed myself ponder on this one. Was I scared? No. I could shout it to the world and I still wouldn't be scared. "Are you?"

 "No."

 "My dear patient, you have been infected with the love bug." I felt bliss toppling over me now that I was able to identify what Liam was to me.

 The game started. Every now and then, I would get a smile from Liam, but most of the time, I loved the way he was so focused on the game. Cornell was already pwning NYU. By the time the half point was reached, Cornell was nine and NYU was three. Liam, the kick-ass player he was, made five of the goals. I wasn't astounded though. I knew he was pro.

 It was the last few seconds of the game and we were winning for sure. Liam had the ball, passing it to Owen and getting it passed back. I laughed as they teased the opposing team. Liam was so close to the net, when he was about to kick it in, when bam. In two seconds, he was on the ground, his arm distorted into a structure not known to mankind. A bulky NYU guy was getting up, while dusting his shorts off, not even looking back to see the damage he had done. Pain was struck across Liam's face and he held his arm with his unaffected hand. When I couldn't take it anymore, I jumped over the midget wall that separated the audience from the field. I ran to Liam, preparing myself for what was coming.

 I finally reached him, my eyes already watering from the image. His face was flushed and the skin around his elbow was decorated in blood bruises.

 "Liam. How do you get yourself in situations like this?" I asked, my hand already cupping his cheek.

All the other players crowded around us whispering comments like "shit" and "f*ck."

 "Airi, I'm fine. Don't cry." He attempted to be the ideal hero, wiping away the tears that had rolled down my cheeks. This was not a sight to see.

 "Everyone, give him some room. Airi, what are you doing on the field?" Garris came from behind, blowing his whistle. He called for a paramedic lecturing Liam like a father. "Son, what the hell is this?! I thought we weren't going to do any of this bull. Have you looked at your arm, god dammit? It's so shittin' twisted up, I can't see the f*cking skin. I swear to god when that mother f*cker heals, you're in for a treat."

 Liam looked at me with a sly smile while I held his normal hand. He picked himself a bit, still wincing from the pain as his arm bent back. I would faint any minute now.

 "How the hell are we gonna f*ck with this little bitch?"

 "You're still punished. Don't think this catastrophe is going to make me forget shit." He rolled his amber eyes, falling back to the ground. I stroked his abnormally shaped arm with gentle fingers, hoping it would relieve the pain. A few minutes later, the paramedics drove right onto the grass, getting Liam in a stretcher. No one else was allowed so I would have to drive to the hospital myself.

 "My motorcycle key is in my soccer bag if you're coming." I looked back at him, my expression content when he smiled back, his eyes closed. The pain must have been unbearable. Right before they closed the doors to the car, I ran to Liam to return the words.

 "For the record Liam, I think I love you too." I then gave him a humble peck on the nose and walked away.