Chapter 30 - One last call

It was a small flight, just a few dozen people waiting to board. You checked the time and decided to call now. Moving to a quiet spot, you kept an eye on the gate but focused on the ringing over the phone.

"Miss me already?" Sherlock muses, sitting in his chair with a smile.

"Of course," you scoff, smiling softly at the floor, "thank you, Sherlock. For not only forgiving me but also still... loving me,"

"To the moon and back... or whatever the saying is," he stands up and walks to the window. "Can you at least tell me how I should pack?"

"Tropical," you laugh, "but don't be so eager. Focus on solving cases for me, Mr Holmes,"

"Oh, you know how much I love it when you call me that," he shook his head, watching the dull pedestrians walking in the street below. "How much longer until you board?"

"Just a few minutes, I think," you then stop and sigh, "Hey, Sherlock?"

"Yes, love?" He goes to the kitchen to prepare some tea for himself. 

"Do you think you can... keep an eye on Greg for me? Make sure he's okay. I know John and him are both... upset with me, to say the least, but I want to make sure someone close is going to make sure he's okay," you see the boarding rows be called one at a time, "Promise me?"

"I promise," he lets the tea steep for a second before hearing the intercom through the phone. "Boarding?"

"I really don't want to go," you admit, "I miss you already,"

"I would be there in a heartbeat to take you back to 221B, but I will admit maybe it'll be nice for a fresh start, and a change of weather," he laughs.

"That is true," you reluctantly move towards the boarding line and continue to wait. "Alright, I think I have to go now so... I love you, Sherlock, so much, and I can't wait to see you again,"

"I love you too. Don't go finding another detective wherever you're going," he playfully teases.

"There's no one else like you... thank god," you joke back, "I'm kidding, and of course I won't. Plus, I think I've hit the jackpot when it comes to bachelors,"

"Alright, enough sentiment," he blushes, "have a safe flight, love,"

"I will stay safe." You eventually end the call, holding the phone to your chest and watching the line decrease more and more.

~~~

Sherlock held the phone to his chest, smiling at the ceiling. He had a gentle buzz in his chest, thinking of all he could do with you once you were both together. This was possibly the most out-of-character behaviour he was possible of, and yet it felt so natural to him. This was the one case he was always meant to take, and the person he was always meant to fall for.

Fate was a crude fantasy for hopeless lovers and in-pain dreamers. One day, they'd say, and yet, while he ridiculed such thoughts, here it was. His 'One day'. 

And so, he would wait every day to see his 'One day' once again.

Yet it itched him just after a few hours. Your flight would go through the late night, and without any contact until the following day, he was ready to wind down for bed by the time John was settling for the night.

Sherlock sat in his pyjamas, sipping tea and reading a book to occupy his mind. One of your favourites. And while he should have focused on the story, he could only think of you with every page. Just a few days, he would tell himself. 

In a few more days, I will have a case. Finding you. His one true-

"Ehem," a knock was heard, making both men turn, only to see Sebastian at the door, holding a box and what looked to be a postcard at the top. "Pardon the intrusion,"