Chapter 7: Falling down that Hill

I rush back home and crack the book open.

Collins plays on the floor in front of me, weaving in-and-out under the coffee table. She bats around one of her new toys, a ball, before snuggling up next to me on the couch.

An hour later, I feel the stress of researching. I decide to get out of the house for at least an hour. I leave Collins to her own devices as I head to the local park for some fresh air.

The chilly air feels good on my skin.

I arrive at Prophecy Park in ten minutes. The park is beautiful. There are very few people in the park. There are only two other cars in the parking lot. Relief washes over me at the idea of finding a quiet place in the park.

Another statue of Hecate resides over the trails. The statue is also three-sided, with each of her faces drastically different. The spiky crown rests upon her head, sharper than the one in the cemetery. The statue is erected in the middle of a fountain, surrounded by well-manicured plants.

The park is filled with trails. Each trail leads in a different direction. The trails are lined with flowers, some of which I cannot identify. If memory serves me correctly, the flowers are mixed with wolfsbane.

It is an odd decision for foliage.

Another statue of Hecate, this time with two dogs, stands at a crossroads. The town really leans into its supernatural reputation, it seems.

Hecate is the chief Goddess presiding over magic and spells, as well as crossroads. It makes sense that she, along with her black dogs, would be found at the center of the paths like the guiding force she is.

I choose the long trail past a kid's playground and a small pavilion, where barbecue grills and green picnic benches reside. I find a path off the trail that leads to a scenic route. It feels a bit unnatural to stray from the park, but I find the perfect spot near a wooded area.

A worn wooden bench that appears to have been built in the area some time ago catches my attention. It looks out into the woods.

The first thirty minutes of my visit are spent on the bench, gazing out into the forest. I muse about giving up on everything and fleeing to the woods. I know a few dryads and nymphs who would swear by it.

There are no vampires in the woods. Most wouldn't be caught alive there. There are no bills or pushy cats or even pushier big brothers.

Some witches find solace in the woods, living off nature. They always seemed more peaceful than the rest of us. The adage about witches dancing naked under the light of the moon is not as far-fetched as witches have tried to lead people to believe.

As freeing as all of it sounds, the reality is that I can't just flee to the woods. I'm not really sold on the idea, either. I'm not sure I look good naked and the bug bites alone make it my own personal Hell.

My phone buzzes and I answer to see a text message from Sierra. She has happened upon our newest roommate. I smile as I imagine her meeting the cat for the first time. I text her I will be home shortly to discuss the newest member of our little family.

A good stretch prepares me to head back to the chaos of my life.

An odd sensation worms its way up my spine. It feels almost like cold death. It is colder than the chilly fall air. It causes an involuntary shiver. It's only then do I realize someone is watching me. I peer around to try to catch sight of my stalker.

Movement in a bush along the path back to the park grabs my attention. My mind flashes back to being pulled into a bush in the dark realm by Nanoki. I would hazard a guess that this is not the same situation.