(C. 19) Debreif

"So, you know him." Dazai hummed from beside Y/n as she stormed towards her car, Rampo trailing after them.

She said nothing in response, her fists clenched tightly by her sides. In silence, the trio entered the vehicle: Y/n in the driver's seat, Dazai in the passenger's, and Rampo in the back. She put the key in the ignition and with a turn, the engine roared to life.

Hands on the wheel, she took a deep breath.

"So," Rampo said, leaning forward between the two front seats and turning his head to look at Y/n who's eyes were staring dead ahead, "not in fact dead."

Suddenly, she let out a scream, slamming her head into the steering wheel.

"Whoa whoa whoa!" Dazai exclaimed, lifting her head up by her chin and turning it towards him.

He examined her carefully for any damage she may have done to herself. Tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Dazai had known Y/n for a while by now, nearly two years. In all that time, he had never once seen her cry.

"What's going on?" he asked softly.

Y/n shook herself from his grip on her face, using the sleeves of her sweater to wipe her eyes.

"Nothing." she coldly replied, putting the car in reverse and backing out of her spot.

"Y/n grew up with that boy." Rampo sighed, "I'm right, aren't I? That that's him. The one who..."

"The one who died the day we met." Y/n finished harshly for him, accelerating down the highway at twenty miles over the speed limit, "Except apparently he has been very much so not dead this entire fucking time, and decided not to tell me."

"You should slow down." Dazai calmly advised.

Y/n let out a low growl but, slowly raised her foot off the gas, bringing the car within the speed limit.

"You were there then." Dazai asked after a moment, "The day the Sheep attacked him?"

Y/n shot Dazai a surprised and calculating look out of the corner of her eye before returning them to the road before her.

"Yes." she admitted after a moment, "I was a part of the Sheep with him. I didn't have any part in the team up with the GSS, however."

It was Dazai's turn to be surprised at this revelation.

"You were, were you."

The car fell silent once again and Rampo leaned back in his seat, turning to look out the window.

"You didn't happen to get kidnapped by the Port Mafia as a child, did you?" Dazai asked, breaking the silence.

"How did you..." Y/n shook her head, her knuckles white from the pressure with which she gripped the wheel, her eyes fixed ahead of her as she turned off the highway, "Yes. I was."

"And you didn't happen to need... some coercion, shall we say... to call for help at some point in time?" 

He was putting the pieces together.

Y/n slammed on the breaks, bringing the car to a harsh stop at a red light. She turned to Dazai.

"How the fuck do you know all this?" she spat, her eyes narrowed with suspicion.

"I brought Chuuya into the Mafia." Dazai revealed.

Y/n opened her mouth to say something before closing it again. The light turned green. 

The rest of the ride to drop Dazai off at the Agency apartments was a silent one. She pulled to a stop out front and all three got out of the car. Dazai said a quick farewell to Rampo as he took his place in the passenger seat before turning to Y/n. She was leaning against the hood of the car, her arms crossed over her chest. Dazai walked over to her, the light of the street lamp glinting off her hair. He took a place beside her in silence.

"Thank you." Y/n said uncertainly after a few seconds.

"For what?" he asked.

She unfolded her arms, looking down at her hands as she turned them over in the night.

"All these years, I thought... The grief, the guilt. I thought when I left him, I had left him to die."

"But he didn't."

"But he didn't." Y/n sighed, letting her hands fall to her sides as she leaned back, looking up at the stars, "I have you to thank for that."

"What do you mean? I'm the one who orchestrated the danger in the first place... you know that, right? I was not a good person back then."

"Are you a good person now?" she critically replied.

"I'm trying to be."

"Give yourself more credit, Dazai." she sighed after a moment, straightening up off the car's hood, "With what we were doing? He would have gotten himself killed eventually. So thank you."

"For what?" he asked again.

"I think you very probably saved his life. Good night, Dazai."

"How do you know her?" Akutagawa asked, rounding on his superior once Y/n had disappeared through the door.

"I..." Chuuya trailed off, still in shock.

"Know who?" Gin asked as she approached the group, her hair damp with sweat from dancing.

"He knows the lead singer of Kadaver Kids." Akutagawa replied in mild amazement, "And he just yelled at her."

"What the fuck man." Gin sighed, shaking her head.

"We, uh... grew up together." Chuuya sighed, trying to process everything whirling through his mind, "I thought she was dead."

Recognition dawned on Akutagawa's face.

"Is that why you get all morose this time of year? Is it about her?"

"You noticed?" Chuuya asked, his brow furrowed.

"You are really bad at hiding your emotions." Gin laughed, "We all noticed."

Chuuya turned back towards the space Y/n had occupied mere minutes before. In that moment, he knew he only had one option. He had to find her again, he had to make things right.

"Let's go." he said firmly and began to walk to the door.

The Akutagawa siblings shared a small conversation of pointed looks and raised eyebrows before following suit.