(C. 11) The Theater

A/N Thank you so much for 1k+ reads!! I am actually so happy so many of you seem to enjoy my stories and your comments always make me smile.

——

"The manager has been lamenting a staff shortage." Fukuzawa was explaining to his two young charges as they walked toward the entrance to the theater, "If I can finish my job here, I'm sure she'd be open to hiring you two."

"What is the job?" Rampo asked.

Fukuzawa gave no answer as he pushed open the glass double doors. Y/n gave Rampo a shrug as if to say 'might as well' before they both followed him inside. They were immediately met by the theater's manager. After a brief greeting between her and Fukuzawa, she began to explain the task ahead of them

"We have some time until opening." she said as she led them into the vast, open lobby, "I need you to check the scene for me."

"Do you have some idea who the threats might be coming from?" Fukuzawa asked seriously as they began to climb the stairs towards the theater itself.

The woman stopped in her tracks and turned to face the trio. She seemed to Y/n to be rather irritated by whatever situation was at hand.

"The police will do the investigating." she replied, a hand on her hip, "Your job is to arrest the attacker when it happens."

Y/n's eyes went wide, she couldn't believe what she was hearing. She held her tongue, however, knowing her shot at a new life depended on this woman's opinion of her.

"Could you at least tell me what the threat is?" Fukuzawa politely asked.

The woman pulled a folded up piece of paper from her pocket, flicking it open so Fukuzawa could read it.

"Here it is. We received this several days ago. 'The Angels shall bring true death upon the performers. V.'"

"V?" Fukuzawa repeated, his brow furrowing.

"The performers, huh?" Rampo asked, seemingly unable to stop himself.

Y/n sent him a warning glare which he either didn't see or ignored completely. He was sitting on the stair at her feet, her back to Fukuzawa and the manager.

"So, is it the actors who are going to be killed?" he continued, fiddling with the brim of his hat absent-mindedly as he got to his feet and turned to face the adults, "I can't wait to see what happens."

"Rampo!" Y/n gasped, a hand to her mouth in shock, "How could you say such a thing? It's already bad enough that they're not doing anything to try and prevent the crime from taking place!" as the realization of what she had said dawned on Y/n, she turned to the manager, bowing apologetically, "Oh! I'm so sorry! I really didn't mean to say that out loud!"

"Who are these children?" the manager asked after a moment, her tone thick with annoyance.

"They're looking for work." Fukuzawa explained, "I heard you needed more people. I'm hoping you can interview them once this situation is resolved."

"Please show me a resume then." she sighed, turning back to Fukuzawa, "I'll evaluate them along with the other candidates."

Y/n's heart sunk. She had nothing to show this woman. Not once in her life had she ever been even offered the chance to get a normal job, let along have one.

"There are other people who signed up?" Rampo asked, cocking his head to one side before quickly turning away from them, "There's no chance I'm getting hired then."

"I told you I'll evaluate you." the woman repeated, irritation seeping into her tone.

"Nope. This hag's already decided she's not hiring me." he replied and Y/n jumped slightly at the harshness of his words.