The Near Loss of Hope

Start from the beginning

Clarisse drove to the drakon's carcass and looped a grappling line through its eye sockets. She lashed her horses and took off, dragging the drakon behind the chariot like a Chinese New Year dragon. She charged after the enemy, yelling insults and daring them to cross her. As she rode, I realized she was literally glowing. An aura of red fire flickered around her.

It kind of reminded me of Kratos' Rage of the Gods or Rage of the Titans from the God of War games.

Thalia: The blessing of Ares. I've never seen it in person before.

For the moment, Clarisse was as invincible as I was. The enemy threw spears and arrows, but nothing hit her.

Clarisse: I AM CLARISSE, DRAKON-SLAYER! I WILL KILL YOU ALL! WHERE IS KRONOS?! BRING HIM OUT! IS HE A COWARD?!

Theo: Clarisse! Stand down and fall back!

Clarisse: WHAT'S THE MATTER, TITAN LORD?! BRING IT ON!

There was no answer from the enemy. Slowly, they began to fall back behind a dracaenae shield wall, while Clarisse drove in circles around Fifth Avenue, daring anyone to cross her path. The two hundred-foot-long drakon carcass made a hollow scraping noise against the pavement, like a thousand knives.

Meanwhile, we tended our wounded, bringing them inside the lobby. Long after the enemy had retreated from sight, Clarisse kept riding up and down the avenue with her horrible trophy, demanding that Kronos meet her battle.

Chris: I'll watch her. She'll get tired eventually. I'll make sure she comes inside.

Percy: What about the camp? Is anybody left there?

Chris: (shakes his head) Only Argus and the nature spirits. Peleus the dragon is still guarding the tree.

Percy: They won't last long. But I'm glad you came.

Chris: (nods) I'm sorry it took so long. I tried to reason with Clarisse. I said there's no point in defending camp if you guys die. All our friends are here. I'm sorry it took Silena...

Thalia: My Hunters will help you stand guard. Annabeth, Theo, Zoe, Percy, you should go to Olympus. I have a feeling they'll need you up there—to set up the final defense.

The doorman had disappeared from the lobby. His book was face down on the desk and his chair was empty. The rest of the lobby, however, was jam-packed with wounded campers, Hunters, and satyrs.

Connor and Travis Stoll met us by the elevators.

Connor: Is it true? About Silena?

Percy: (nods) She died a hero.

Travis: Um, I also heard—

Theo: That's it. End of story.

Travis: Right. Listen, we figure the Titan's army will have trouble getting up the elevator. They'll have to go up a few at a time. And the giants won't be able to fit at all.

Percy: That's our biggest advantage. Any way to disable the elevator?

Travis: It's magic. Usually you need a key card, but the doorman vanished. That means the defenses are crumbling. Anyone can walk into the elevator now and head straight up.

Percy: Then we have to keep them away from the doors. We'll bottle them up in the lobby.

Travis: We'll need reinforcements. They'll just keep coming. Eventually they'll overwhelm us.

Connor: There is no reinforcements.

Percy: Maybe that's not true.

We all looked at him quizzically, but left the lobby and talked to Mrs. O'Leary before she shadow-traveled away.