Chapter 6

"Earlier, Miss Gauri gave me a compliment on my dress as I was showing her out the door. I was pleased at the time since I assumed it was just a compliment.

Ishana fussed at her dress's hem. Omkara had bought her the dress she was wearing today so she could wear it to his wedding.

Omkara had pleaded with her, "This is ivory, not white," after she had refused to wear a white dress to a wedding.

She reasoned that it would be acceptable to wear something more modest because Gauri's dress, which is white with a lot of gold threads, is far more glamorous than this one.

If Gauri meant to be ironic when she said, "Your dress looks great on you," then she must have looked silly for smiling so broadly in front of her without understanding what she was actually saying.

"Do you believe Miss Gauri was upset?"

Omkara's clenched his jaw when Ishana dress was brought up.

"How cowardly to talk to the helpless Ishana's when you know full well that Oberoi's family made her dress," the comment reads.

However, Omkara's was blind to Ishana's anguish at even bringing up this subject.

"Not at all. She was too sensitive about your dress, not withstanding the one she wore today.

"Oh, Miss Gauri looked so lovely today, so glittery and..."

"She appeared vulgar."

"How can you call your own wife vulgar, Omkara? What do you mean?" Ishana enquired, seeming surprised.

Omkara subdued his fury without much delay. "I apologise; I used a harsh word in front of you."

"Miss Gauri should receive your apology, not me! Do you not even have sympathy for her? You are supposed to take care of her because she has come here by herself, doesn't know anyone else, and only trusts you.

But Omkara was deeply hurt by Ishana's concern for Gauri.

Grabbing her wrist, he said softly, "Did you mean what you said?"

"Omkara, huh..."

You're not nice, Ishana. Are you really unaware of how I managed to get by today?

Ishana shook her head nervously.

She knew his heart, Omkara was certain.

Ishana was someone who was unable to voice any thoughts regarding this marriage.
Perhaps this was her attempt to calm his fears.

"Ishana."

"Hey, Omkara. I am...

Omkara raised her chin, displaying a charming expression of surprise as Ishana was speechless.

It was so sweet and innocent to see, like sunshine in springtime.

How comforting.

Omkara approached her lips gradually.

"Ishana"

Omkara might have had the opportunity to kiss her if it hadn't been for the interruption.

"V-Veer!"

Ishana awkwardly smiled and pulled away from Omkara to wave at Veer.