Ark 1, Chapter 8: Shrouded in Darkness.

Начните с самого начала

Nickel watched at the doorway. Almost literally frozen from the amount of pain he could feel coming from the other boy. It reminded him of himself. But he knew he couldn't fully relate...

Nickel wanted desperately to comfort him in some way. He felt bad. But he didn't know how. Acting the way he did was all he knew...

Nickel sighed.

He walked towards Balloon, trying not to slip and fall into the snow. Balloon turned his head away. He knew Nickel was there.

"Balloo—?"

"GO AWAY!!!" Balloon screamed through his waterfall of tears that came down his face. As if his heart was slipping  through his fingertips like it was sand.

Nickel frowned. And shuddered at the cold. If this kept up Balloon, and him could freeze to death. Nickel walked a bit closer. "You shouldn't listen to them... They're all idiots..." Nickel tried to reassure.

Balloon cried harder and screamed into his knees. "NO! IM THE IDIOT FOR THINKING EVEN FOR A SECOND I WOULD HAVE A CHANCE AT ANYTHING!!! IM FREAK! THEYRE SCARED OF ME! DID YOU SEE HOW MAD THEY WERE?! DID YOU SEE HER FACE?!?!" He bit his, he felt the salty taste of his tears as a few fell into his mouth. "I HURT SOMEONE TOO!"

"Balloon... It was an accident..." Nickel sighed and tried to move the wing, But Balloon flinched it closer to him. Nickel moved away slightly.

"I CANT DO THIS ANYMORE NICKEL! I CANT DO IT! EVERYONE HATES ME! I HAVE NO HOPE OF EVER GETTING A JOB! LET ALONE BECOMING A WRITER..." He took a second , since he was hyperventilating. His thoughts were spiralling. "I KEEP MESSING EVERYTHING UP! NOTHING FEELS WORTH IT! IM JUST GONNA BE DISSECTED ANYWAY! OR KICKED OUT! OR— OR—!"

"B-Balloon—!" Nickel spoke up. He really didn't want Balloon to continue this... It was really upsetting him.

"NO! BECAUSE IM TELLING THE TRUTH! I MIGHT AS WELL JUST GIVE UP!!! I WILL NEVER HAVE ANYTHING BECAUSE IM DIFFERENT! I WILL NEVER DO ANYTHING WORTH WHILE! ILL NEVER FUFILL MY DREAMS! AND ILL NEVER FIND ANYONE WHO CARES ABOUT ME—!!!"

"BALLOON!!! WILL YOU SHUT UP FOR FIVE SECONDS?!" Nickel bellowed.

Balloon tensed up and all of the snow froze in place as if time stopped. He could hear Nickel breathing heavily, he couldn't tell if it was panic, or anger. He shook at the fact that it could be anger... But...

Nickel moved his wing to see Balloon's face.

Balloon's puffy eyes stared into Nickel's now soft gaze.

"I care..." Nickel gave a warm smile.

Balloon almost stopped breathing for a moment... "you— y..." he paused. His voice was very quiet. "Y-you're lyin—!" He whispered.

Did a motion as if he was coming in for a hug, nuzzling against the side of his face, as he had no arms to really hug him with. "I'm not... I-I'm sorry this is all happening. I really wish I could change things. You clearly have reasons for acting the way you do. Your own life, your own experiences, and your own trauma. I shouldn't have put you down for the way you were grieving, and defending yourself I... I should've been more open to your experiences and emotions. I spent so much time and energy trying to build my own defences that... I forgot that other people have problems too. I'm really sorry... And you don't need to forgive anyone. Not me, not Suitcase, not any of those assholes... What you've been through is incredibly upsetting... and you have the right to be upset, sad, angry even! But please... Don't just give up. Because... I'm gonna be honest with you... I have no idea what's out there for you. Or for me, but I know that our lives aren't over yet. That you still have potential. I may not have been there before, but I'm here now okay? I promise that if you want, I'll help you every step of the way..." Nickel said softly, he poured his heart into that statement.