"A special little thing, isn't it?" Dr. Gaul drawled, moving to the other side of the desk.

Calida remained silent, fixating on the spider.

"Do you know what this is?" Dr. Gaul inquired.

"A spider," Calida responded, an immediate pang of regret following her smart-ass remark.

Now wasn't the time for insolence.

"Hm, yes, but it's not just any spider, right?" Dr. Gaul remarked.

Though Calida wasn't looking at her, she sensed Dr. Gaul's satisfaction, almost as if she were smiling.

Was she toying with her?Calida shook her head.

"No, and how do you know it is not just a simple spider?" Dr. Gaul pressed the question more of a statement designed to elicit an admission.

"Because I made it," Calida replied, surprising herself with the confidence in her tone.

Dr. Gaul nodded, seemingly pleased with that response."I am sure you don't need a reminder that giving the tribute a mutant violated the rules,"

Dr Gaul pointed out, her tone carrying a subtle glee that confused Calida."The punishment for violations like that is severe," she declared, a glint of excitement in her eyes as she disclosed the information.

Calida merely nodded in response.

"But I have a proposition for you," Dr. Gaul continued.

Calida furrowed her brows, regarding the woman with scepticism.

"And what is that?" Calida inquired.

"The Capitol needs to groom the next generation tasked with keeping the districts under control and, naturally, to devise innovative approaches for the Hunger Games," she explained, focusing intently on Calida.

Sensing where this was leading, Calida was on the brink of rejecting any proposal, but Dr. Gaul persisted.

"As I'm sure you're aware, I am now mentoring Mr. Snow," she disclosed, "But Mr. Snow isn't necessarily interested in the position. He's aiming for something greater; he's working towards becoming the next president."

Although it made sense, the idea of Coriolanus as president brought a frown to Calida's face.

Coriolanus exuded an undeniable ambition in everything he did—an aura she had noticed early on.

His presence carried authority tinged with a hint of a superiority complex, making the thought of him as the president of Panem unsettling.

The memory of him choking her resurfaced, an act that seemed to bring him a disturbing sense of enjoyment over the control of her breathing.

Someone with such tendencies shouldn't wield power over many people, especially with his evident disdain for the districts.

"What does this have to do with me?" Calida asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"I think you should consider becoming the head of the Games when I'm gone," Dr. Gaul stated matter-of-factly, presenting a proposition that made Calida shudder with what could only be described as horror.

Calida detested the idea; the Games were her bane, and being in charge of them?

It was absolutely out of the question.

"I don't want to," she quickly retorted, a firm rejection on her lips.

Dr. Gaul chuckled at her swift response.